means we have a disk space leak here.
The reason is, that the original installation is not a
subvolume/snapshot and thus will not show up in /.snapshots.
If we install on btrfs, and snapshots/rollback is enabled, we should
instead install into a subvolume /.snapshots/1/snapshot and make that
the new root.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Fix a very huge disk space leak problem.

#1: Thorsten Kukuk (kukuk) (2015-01-23 14:58:31)
Arvin, I think you can describe better, how the initial instannation
into a subvolume has to look like, that we see it later in /.snapshots/
?

+ #2: Arvin Schnell (aschnell) (2015-01-26 18:13:31) (reply to #1)
+ I would implement this as follows:
+ Required steps during installation:
+ * right after libstorage has created the root filesystem, snapper must
+ be called to create the config, a first read-write snapshot and set the
+ default subvolume
+ * the root filesystem must be mounted to use the new default subvolume
+ * snapper must not be called again later by YaST
+ Problems:
+ * libstorage does not know whether snapshots/rollback are enabled, new
+ API required
+ * snapper does not have the required command, needs implementation
+ * snapper does not work with a chrooted target, needs implementation
+ * snapper is needed in the instsys (not even all requirements are
+ there)
+ The problems make it difficult to do a proof-of-concept test.
+ Further question:
+ * Should there only be the option "rollback on / off?" or should it
+ also be possible to configure snapper without rollbacks (that is
+ installing into subvolume)?
+ * There is no easy way for the user to enable rollbacks later on. Is
+ that OK?

List Navigation