[openFATE 311089] Disable system bell by default if sound card is installed
Feature changed by: Georg Stillfried (theschorsch)
Feature #311089, revision 4
Title: Disable system bell by default if sound card is installed

Requested by: Pieter De Decker (pdedecker)

One of the first things I do after installing openSUSE is disabling the
system bell by adding this to ~/.inputrc:
set bell-style none
Its volume is needlessly high. The bell scares the hell outta me
whenever it creeps up because I backspaced too much on the command
line.
My suggestion: disable the system bell by default, unless no sound card
is installed.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It's a simple fix for something that has been bugging me
forever.

#1: Jimmy Berry (boombatower) (2011-01-19 22:57:33)
Completely agree.
Too many times I have used my openSUSE laptop at college or other
public places and during the middle of a class my computer would spew
forth a series of extremely loud beeps. Useless and extremely
annoying.

#2: Daniel Lee (erget) (2011-01-23 13:51:23)
Yes, I have the same problem and would love this fix!

+ #3: Georg Stillfried (theschorsch) (2015-01-04 11:27:36)
+ Agree.
+ In my case, it has been annoying when using TightVNC to connect to my
+ workplace's computer at night with all sound turned off and suddenly
+ loud beeps coming out of the PC speaker because I hit backspace once
+ too much in MATLAB.

List Navigation