[openFATE 307746] Yast2-UI to mount remote Samba/Windows/CIFS-shares
Feature changed by: Richard Colvin (allianux)
Feature #307746, revision 5
Title: Yast2-UI to mount remote Samba/Windows/CIFS-shares

Requested by: Alex Müller (larx)

At the moment there is no working Yast2-module to simply mount remote
SAMBA/CIFS shares the "unix way" (i.e. with a directory entry in the
filesystem a la "/network/sharename/").
(yast2-samba-client seems to offer this as "expert option", however I
don't get it to work.)
The different desktop environments offer access with the "smb:/"-
protocol, however this doesn't work really consistently. E.g. it
doesn't help with consoles and scripts, and even some desktop apps,
namely KDE's own Amarok, refuse to use the smb:/-protocol.
More annoying examples (added by xpuc): it's not possible to edit
office documents on a remote share using OpenOffice, and Gwenview is
not able to browse images in a remote folder.
So I think a Yast2-module - which should be simple to do, as it would
only be a frontend to /etc/fstab or /etc/samba/smbfstab - to mount
SAMBA shares should be implemented.

#1: Sven Burmeister (rabauke) (2012-04-29 10:49:26)
I support this request. Syncing folders etc. does not work via smb://
and thus an fstab entry is needed. The UI should ease the setting-up
regarding no-auto in case the user wants to mount via the DE's file
manager, credentials etc.
The product should be changed to 12.2.

#2: Richard Colvin (allianux) (2013-12-06 11:39:20)
I support this feature too. Suse and Opensuse constantly refer to the
GUI of YAST to set up a system. Having an important network set tool
missing is therefore strange. Can this new YAST module included a setup
for CIFS mounts using the autofs mount method. YAST is now ported to
ruby and I hope a dev picks up this mantel to make life easier for many
small network admins.
Thank you.

+ #3: Richard Colvin (allianux) (2014-04-20 08:35:22)
+ Would it be possible to get a response from admin / an evaluator on
+ this request? By adding this feature with timeout /ifup/ifdown scripts
+ i.e. when the network connection is lost will add value to the typical
+ home user.
+ A lot of work is currently going into YAST and believe it is a good
+ time to implement this. How about including this in 13.2.