[openFATE 316834] Licensing problems of cdrtools
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #316834, revision 6
Title: Licensing problems of cdrtools

- Buildservice: Unconfirmed
+ Buildservice: Rejected by Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
+ reject reason: legal has passed it.

Requested by: Chuck Norris (bugmenot12)

In https://features.opensuse.org/311186 it was discussed that cdrtools
do not have a valid license (for binary distribution) because of
linking GPL to CDDL code.
cdrtools used to be part of openSuSE, but were removed exactly because
of this licensing issue. The removal, unfortunately, is not explained
well in the release notes:
http://www.novell.com/linux/releasenotes/x86_64/openSUSE/10.3/#15
Nevertheless, the opensource build system does include a number of
copies of cdrtools. Maybe cdrtools needs to be put on a block list,
because of this known license problem?
See e.g.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/multimedia:apps/cdrtools but
searching for "cdrtools" will yield other copies of this software that
cannot be legally distributed in compiled form.
Sorry for posting this request anonymous. The cdrtools author is known
to take this issue personal, and I want to avoid being harassed (you
can find a lot of examples documented on the internet, where he did
this to other people). Also I'm not entirely sure where to raise the
issue; but IMHO the main issue is that the build service will be
distributing software with an invalid license!

Relations:
- cdrtools request (feature/id: https://features.opensuse.org/311186)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Removing (and blocking) cdrtools from inclusion in
OpenSuSE will give licensing safety , as the license of cdrtools may be
invalid. On the long run, libburnia is the way to go, as this is an
independent project from cdrtools.