[openFATE 314818] Life cycle for OpenSUSE
Feature changed by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)
Feature #314818, revision 4
Title: Life cycle for OpenSUSE

Requested by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)

Although this theme has been here many times, I return it again. The
reason is discussion in Ubuntu and Fedora communities, that reflects
the same problems, as exists in OpenSUSE..
I think, that today's concept is not good and limiting the spreading
this, I think, very good distribution into population. Today's concept
generates every 8 (or another number) months a quite new distribution.
That distribution includes the newest features - but it is suitable for
only a small group of users, as these features significantly decreases
the platform stability. This distinctively decrease exploatibility for
a great group of users, that are not very familiarly with Linux OS.
I think, that surely exists good concepts, that can solve it. I think,
that only determining a some period is not a solution, as, of course,
every quite new system must have a lot of bugs. To get a good and
stable distribution this distribution must have a time for
consolidation. I also think, that OpenSUSE has a good tools that is
very suitable for solving problems, that my concept require: good work
with repositories, rolling update - thumbleweed and alternatively
evergreen.
I think, that we can search solution easy by:
1) Prolongation the life cycle - the new major version distribution can
start every approximately 18 - 24 months.
2) structure the life cycle - development stage, stabilization stage,
production stage, maintenance stage, (evergreen stage?)
3) generating production distributions from "the actual state of the
art" every 6 months
The period of stages let is a theme for discussion. I think, that
developing stage can take about 6 months. This stage finished by
generating the "zero" minor number distribution - that is not for
production use. It follows stabilization stage - ~3 months, that
includes minor number 1 and 2. The minor number 2 started the stable
- stage, that continues by releasing minor number every 6 month (3, 4,
- 5). During this stage can be accepted new version of applications, but
- only repaired and actualized version of desktop environment, compiler
- and libraries. Maybe some exceptions for last minor version? What about
- new version of kernel - it is theme for discussion.
+ (production) stage, that continues by releasing minor number every 6
+ month (3, 4, 5). During this stage can be accepted new version of
+ applications, but only repaired and actualized version of desktop
+ environment, compiler and libraries. Maybe some exceptions for last
+ minor version? What about new version of kernel - it is theme for
+ discussion.
Every minor number releases since 2 have own maintenance stage, I
suggest 9-12 months and last (minor number 5) 18 months; this concept
expects massive using rolling update between minor version of
distributions. It would be interesting to have extra stage for last
version (5) - evergreen.
Probably it is necessary to synchronize OpenSUSE development cycle with
SLES/SLED, but it concerns only duration of stages - I can imagine,
that minor version 2 can be a base of this commercial distributions and
(last) version can be base for "service pack" and it is also reason for
some exception and more extensively updating.

List Navigation