[New: openFATE 314818] Life cycle for OpenSUSE
Feature added by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)

Feature #314818, revision 1
Title: Life cycle for OpenSUSE

Requested by: Juraj Václavík (juvi)

<!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Although this theme has been here many times, I return it again. The reason is
discussion in Ubuntu and Fedora communities, that reflects the same problems,
as exists in OpenSUSE..

I think, that today's concept is not good and limiting the spreading this, I
think, very good distribution into population. Today's concept generates every
8 (or another number) months a quite new distribution. That distribution
includes the newest features – but it is suitable for only a small group of
users, as these features significantly decreases the platform stability.

I think, that surely exists good concepts, that can solve it. I think, that
only determining a some period is not a solution, as, of course, every quite
new system must have a lot of bugs. To get a good and stable distribution this
distribution must have a time for consolidation. I also think, that OpenSUSE
has a good tools that is very suitable for solving problems, that my concept
require: good work with repositories, rolling update – thumbleweed and
alternatively evergreen.

I think, that we can search solution easy by:

1) Prolongation the life cycle – the new major version distribution can start
every approximately 18 – 24 months.

2) structure the life cycle – development stage, stabilization stage,
production stage, maintenance stage, (evergreen stage?)

3) generating production distributions from “the actual state of the art” -
every 6 months

The period of stages let is a theme for discussion. I think, that developing
stage can take about 6 months. This stage finished by generating the “zero”
minor number distribution – that is not for production use. It follows
stabilization stage – ~3 months, that includes minor number 1 and 2. The
minor number 2 started the stable stage, that continues by releasing minor
number every 6 month (3, 4, 5). During this stage can be accepted new version
of applications, but only repaired and actualized version of desktop
environment, compiler and libraries. Maybe some exceptions for last minor
version? What about new version of kernel – it is theme for discussion.

Every minor number releases since 2 have own maintenance stage – I suggest
9-12 months and last (minor number 5) 18 months; this concept expects massive
using rolling update between minor version of distributions. It would be
interesting to have extra stage for last version (5) – evergreen.

Probably it is necessary to synchronize OpenSUSE development cycle with
SLES/SLED, but it concerns only duration of stages – I can imagine, that
minor version 2 can be a base of this commercial distributions and (last)
version can be base for “service pack” and it is also reason for some
exception and more extensively updating.

List Navigation