[openFATE 307846] Kolab groupware server support by openSUSE
Feature changed by: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann)
Feature #307846, revision 26
Title: Kolab groupware server support by openSUSE

openSUSE Distribution: Implementation

Info Provider: Richard Bos (rbos)
Requested by: Aeneas Jaißle (aeneas_jaissle)
Requested by: Richard Bos (rbos)
Developer: Aeneas Jaißle (aeneas_jaissle)
Developer: Ralf Lang (ralflangb1)

Kolab (http://kolab.org) is a free and open software groupware
solution.
It supports KDE PIM, Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning, both on Windows,
Mac OS X and Linux, as well as GNOME Evolution (experimental) on Linux.
On the server has a Roundcube based web interface as well as ActiveSync
for mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry).
The following functionality is provided by kolab; groupware (free/busy
information), email, spam and virus filtering, a webinterface for the
system administrator and end user. The web interface can be used to
add, modify and remove users, domains, distributions list, shared
folders, among other things. Kolab is built exclusively upon and
released as open source software. The data is stored in Open Stadards
(xCal, xCard) and freely available by the end user. This means that if
the end user is not satisfied with the provided service delivered by
the service provider, the end user can retrieve his or her data and
move it to somewhere else.
Standard components for a Kolab Groupware Server is assembled are
postfix, cyrus/dovecot, amavis, openldap/389, apache and others. Due to
its design the kolab server supports multiple domains and hundreds of
thousands of end users. Kolab clients are for example KDE's Kontact,
which has been developed in relation with Kolab in the past years,
Roundcube with Kolab modules for calendaring tasks and more, Horde (not
supported), Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning, MS Outlook in combination
with a connector and GNOME Evolution (with plugin, currently not
recommended for productive use). Due to ActiveSync support, virtually
all recent phones can be hooked up to Kolab as well.
After major refactoring over the past years, Kolab has been released in
version 3.0 alpha in August 2012 and is available for
RHEL/CentOS/Fedora, as well as Debian, with Ubuntu in the making.
OpenSuSE packaging is currently missing. Packaging should be much
simplified, as almost all patches are now upstream, with one exception
of a PHP patch for VLV searches in very large LDAP trees. Most packages
should already be available in openSuSE, except for libkolabxml,
libkolab, Syncroton (the ActiveSync stack) and the Kolab specific
modules for the web client.
Packaging help is available at kolab-devel@xxxxxxxxx

Relations:
- server:Kolab (obs/project: server:Kolab)
- server:Kolab:UNSTABLE (obs/project: server:Kolab:UNSTABLE)

#1: Isaac WALULYA (isanel) (2009-10-30 17:58:49)
HI all,
I have installed kolab and successfully started all services  but i can
not add a user.
When i try to add a user (first name: Isaac Nelson Last Name:
Walulya  trial domain:mydomain.com ) , i get the error message:
" LDAP Error: could not add object cn=Isaac Nelson Walulya,dc=mydomain,
dc=com: Invalid syntax

What i am i doing wrong ?

Please help.

#2: Richard Bos (rbos) (2009-11-07 15:17:16)
Hello Isaac, please do not (mis)use this feature request as
bugreport.  Look up the packager in one of the kolab rpms (use rpm -q --
changelog <pkg>) and inform the packagere.  This is also explained in
the warning box at http://en.opensuse.org/kolab.  Thank you.

#3: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-12-20 14:34:48)
Since openSUSE 11.3 has been already released, I've changed the target
product from 11.3 to distribution.
And, please explain this feature much more clearly onece again, because
it's goal is unclear. Is it only about adding a patch to cyrus?

#4: Richard Bos (rbos) (2010-12-20 14:52:30) (reply to #3)
This is about adding Kolab to openSUSE or at least make that as easy as
possible. Kolab consist of several servers (openldap, apache, postfix,
etc). Most of these can be used as provided by the openSUSE
distribution, but cyrus. The latter must be patched to be able to use
with Kolab. It would be great if openSUSE would ship cyrus with the
Kolab applied to it. That is one thing. Besides this Kolab requirs many
more packages, mainly php-pear or php-horde packages. These packages
should be provided by packagers that maintain the server:php:
applications repository.
I used to maintain Kolab, but due to time constraints, I no longer
provide Kolab for openSUSE. Others should do the work now to make Kolab
available for openSUSE.

#5: Ralf Lang (ralflangb1) (2011-05-15 15:04:57) (reply to #4)
I've packaged most of horde4 now and met Gunnar Wrobel this weekend,
who did a lot of horde's kolab support. I can look at this once kolab
changes to use horde4 instead of horde3. I won't support the kolab-
patched horde3 libraries though.

#8: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2011-07-18 14:27:09) (reply to #5)
Ralf, thanks. Whenever kolab is fine, go ahead and push packages to
Factory.

#6: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2011-05-20 15:05:48)
Hey Ralf that's good news. I've also seen they perhaps will go to
roundcube (would be better in my opinion). Anyway I add my vote for
that, and really have a big interrest to see Kolab again easy for
openSUSE.
I'm in the process to assemble all documentations needed and give it a
new try or restart. I hope Richard will be able to help me a bit on
obs.

#7: Richard Bos (rbos) (2011-05-22 10:34:10) (reply to #6)
Bruno, Ralf knows a lot about the OBS and there is the buildservice
emaillist too. For sure you will get the help you need. Richard

#9: Ralf Lang (ralflangb1) (2011-09-02 15:56:42) (reply to #6)
How are you proceeding with the docs?

#10: Richard Bos (rbos) (2012-05-13 21:35:43)
Kolab released an intermediate version (2.4), that is build with native
packages only.
A CentOS installation guide can be found at:
http://www.kolab.org/howto/quick-howto-kolab-24-centos-62
(http://www.kolab.org/howto/quick-howto-kolab-24-centos-62)
The RPM sources are in http://git.kolabsys.com/rpm/
(http://git.kolabsys.com/rpm/) git repositories, and the relevant
packages are listed in http://mirror.kolabsys.com/pub/redhat/kolab-2.4
/el6/development/SRPMS/ (http://mirror.kolabsys.com/pub/redhat/kolab-2.4
/el6/development/SRPMS/) kolab-fbview seems overdone, as it contains a
whole horde installation. # find kolab-conf kolab-imap kolab-mta kolab-
webadmin kolab-z-push roundcubemail-plugins-kolab kolab-community-
release kolab-ldap kolab-schema kolab-webclient pykolab -type f kolab-
conf/kolab-conf.spec kolab-conf/README kolab-imap/kolab-imap.spec kolab-
imap/README kolab-mta/kolab-mta.spec kolab-mta/README kolab-
webadmin/0002-Extract-reading-configuration-file-to-a-different-fu.
patch kolab-webadmin/0004-Bug-704-Cannot-override-auto_form_field-
values.patch kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin.spec kolab-webadmin/kolab-
webadmin-2.4.0.tar.gz kolab-webadmin/0001-Make-sure-the-secondary-mail-
addresses-are-unique-to.patch kolab-webadmin/0003-Ensure-any-primary-
email-addresses-are-not-included-.patch kolab-webadmin/0005-Add-more-
complex-but-more-suitable-default-SQL-file-.patch kolab-z-push/kolab.
php-correct-namespaces kolab-z-push/kolab-z-push.spec kolab-z-
push/kolab-z-push-0.7.5.tar.bz2 roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/horde_cache.
sql roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/roundcube-plugins-kolab-0.7.1.tar.gz
roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/kolab_logo.png roundcubemail-plugins-
kolab/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab.spec kolab-community-release/kolab-
repository-template.repo.tpl kolab-community-release/kolab-community-
release.spec kolab-ldap/kolab-ldap.spec kolab-ldap/README kolab-
schema/kolab-schema-2.4.tar.gz kolab-schema/kolab-schema.spec kolab-
webclient/README kolab-webclient/kolab-webclient.spec pykolab/pykolab-
0.4.0.tar.gz pykolab/pykolab.spec Number of lines in the spec files; 33
kolab-schema/kolab-schema.spec 37 kolab-conf/kolab-conf.spec 37 kolab-
imap/kolab-imap.spec 44 kolab-ldap/kolab-ldap.spec 45 kolab-mta/kolab-
mta.spec 47 kolab-webclient/kolab-webclient.spec 75 kolab-
webadmin/kolab-webadmin.spec 125 kolab-z-push/kolab-z-push.spec 125
roundcubemail-plugins-kolab/roundcubemail-plugins-kolab.spec 227 kolab-
community-release/kolab-community-release.spec 346 pykolab/pykolab.spec
It would be nice if someone can pick up, the challenge to make rpms for
it.

#11: Georg Greve (ggreve) (2012-10-22 14:56:24)
I updated the description because some of it was fairly old and related
to version 2 of Kolab.
The refactoring to 3.0 is now complete, so packaging should be greatly
simplified.
If you just want to check the web interface out, look at
http://demo3.kolab.org, accounts can be generated at
http://kolabsys.com/try
Everyone who wants to take a shot at this is invited to contact kolab-
devel@xxxxxxxxx or join us on IRC.

#12: Aeneas Jaißle (aeneas_jaissle) (2012-11-16 10:57:23)
Hi, packaging Kolab 3 for openSUSE is currently worked on.

+ #13: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2013-01-16 14:57:40) (reply to
+ #12)
+ Aeneas, I will follow closely your progress. Cause I'm really interested in
+ spreading openSUSE & Kolab.
+ For any defect I will find, I will open directly a bug, and we will be
+ able to collaborate on them.