[openFATE 314709] Remove cylinder measurement in Yast Partitioner
Feature changed by: Ned Ulbricht (ned_ulbricht)
Feature #314709, revision 9
Title: Remove cylinder measurement in Yast Partitioner

Requested by: Roman Bysh (romanator)

The use of "cylinder measurement" during partitioning should be removed
by openSUSE.
Now that newer drives use " LBA " the use of cylinders is no longer
required.
This should be replaced with a slider that measures partitions in
megabytes, gigabytes and in the near future terabytes.

+ #1: Ned Ulbricht (ned_ulbricht) (2013-01-02 17:59:15)
+ Cylinder alignment is still required for dual-boot compatability with
+ Windows XP.
+ That use case may or may not be all that important to us anymore.
+ However, at the very least, a change which breaks things in that
+ scenario should be well-documented as NOT SUPPORTED anymore.
+ There are known issues with MBR partitioning using Microsoft Vista (or
+ later) diskpart, which aligns on 1MB boundaries, when XP compatibility
+ is still required. I don't have a setup like that myself, so I'm not up
+ on the exact details. But the issues have bitten others.