[openFATE 314590] Db manager of personal repository
Feature changed by: Lukas Krejza (gryffus)
Feature #314590, revision 8
Title: Db manager of personal repository

Requested by: Francesco Noacco (firelink)

Raise your hand if you burn the CD/DVD distributions: Son many years
that I do not do more, it's inconvenient and annoying. And yet I look
forward to many more years that some "pious soul" to finally carry out
a synchronization to a central database certified with the signatures
of the packages certificates to authenticate the packages downloaded
from anywhere you want. In this way, it would be theoretically possible
to keep track of any downgrade or even preferred embodiments of the
programs used. Furthermore, it would end the ridiculous distribution of
large dvd or cd that you just downloaded many are already being
updated, at times, heavily!

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: - To reduce the internet traffic that would be better
handled by proxy servers without wasting portions of identical data. -
To promote the dissemination of the system as they are more flexible. -
Why it will be much more practical circular with a hdd or a usb stick
(now greatly capacious and fast) rather than a case full of cd/dvd or
fanciful escamotages to overcome this. Etc..
Already that fantasy does not cost anything: Why just this and optimize
the packages to be run as they are without the need to unpack and
install! One might worry, and take in your pocket, the signature
database and the only files "config / ini" that would characterize your
installation (in addition to personal documents, of course). .. it's
just a dream!

#1: Dainius Masiliunas (greatemerald) (2012-11-11 22:31:58)
I don't understand what you mean. There is already a network installer.
Also, all of the downloadable ISOs are easily writeable to USB media.
And for changing what is in the ISOs, you have SUSE Studio.
The DVD image is still useful, even if it is rarely used for burning
actual DVDs. I often write it on a USB stick. It is very fast to
download it using Bittorrent, while it doesn't take up any traffic from
the main repositories; and once it's done, you have a speedy local
repository of packages, which you just need to plug in to greatly
increase the speed of installing new packages (if they were not updated
in the mean while).

#3: Francesco Noacco (firelink) (2012-11-12 01:06:57) (reply to #1)
I realized that you can do (I was just formatting a virtual disk to try
to understand what is put in it), but have a lot more or less
disorganized and usable by the usual "veterans well informed" is not
the same type of thing as an "official" synchronizes package signatures
and download them in an organized and available to all.
Also, if well designed could be interesting to use as a test and
downgrade of updates, both system and applications.

#4: Francesco Noacco (firelink) (2012-11-23 01:17:36) (reply to #1)
I tried SUSE Studio, is the exact opposite of what I mean! The primary
intention is to reduce duplicate files, not increase them further with
iso images can easily be transformed into profiles installation
automatic or semi-automatic administrable from a graphical interface to
a database. In my view therefore, you want to use a "base" customizable
(eventually also during installation or power strip. Styled "macro", if
I pass the word), not an countless number of systems to choose from.
Who does not want all the best? .. On your system, rather than
continually try everything from scratch.

#2: Francesco Noacco (firelink) (2012-11-12 01:02:16)
I realized that you can do (I was just formatting a virtual disk to try
to understand what is put in it), but have a lot more or less
disorganized and usable by the usual "veterans well informed" is not
the same type of thing as an "official" synchronizes package signatures
and download them in an organized and available to all.

+ #5: Lukas Krejza (gryffus) (2013-01-02 15:10:55)
+ I also failed to understand what you want to accomplish. Do you mean
+ suse installation on a cloud? Something like pxe-bootable distribution
+ from internet? That would be insane traffic if multiplied for many
+ users. Also you cannot take away users freedom to modify system axactly
+ to their needs... Please explain it more formally, maybe my english is
+ just not good enough...