[openFATE 313201] Jitsi - open alternative of Skype
Feature changed by: Oleg Millloshev (olegue)
Feature #313201, revision 8
Title: Jitsi - open alternative of Skype

Requested by: Bogomil Shopov (bogomilshopov)
Developer: Daniel Zucchetto (danileo)

Jitsi is an audio/video and chat communicator that supports protocols
such as SIP, XMPP/Jabber, AIM/ICQ, Windows Live, Yahoo!, Bonjour and
many other useful features.
Jitsi is Open Source / Free Software, and is available under the terms
of the LGPL.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We need to push FOSS alternative to Skype and Jitsi is
the best solution so far.
It supports a lot of features described here:
http://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/Features
Audio and video calls with perfect quality Desktop sharing and
streaming

#1: Alexandre Rogoski (aledr) (2012-02-07 00:03:00)
It is already available at network:telephony[1]. Build just need to be
enabled. It works although.
[1]:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=jitsi&project=network:telephony

#2: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel) (2012-02-09 11:01:01) (reply to #1)
The package is not ready for the distro yet AFAICS. Would be nice to
have it though. The first thing it needs to do in %build is rm -rf lib
to get rid of the pre compiled binaries and bundled jars.

#3: Stakanov Schufter (stakanov) (2012-04-17 15:07:05) (reply to #1)
as of 3 of April there is the 1.0 stable version shipping. There is an
rpm available (but I did not try to install yet, would like to avoid on
this machine rmps from outside the official repos.

+ #4: Oleg Millloshev (olegue) (2012-05-22 20:40:14)
+ I have some impressions from jitsi since it was sip-communicator now.
+ The rpms could be installed with YAST installer easily. There are two
+ major issues I do not like with that very useful program. First one is
+ a great amount of CPU power it uses on audio call, it could come up to
+ 40%, recently they have included support for pulseaudio which make the
+ picture better the audio call dropped to 20% , but even that is quite
+ much compare with linphone 2 - 3% CPU. With video call CPU usage goes
+ up to 100% that does not make it an application for daily usage.
+ Linphone still is best in stability, low CPU usage in audio and video
+ calls for a linux desktop. SLFphone gives more features then Linphone
+ but is unpredictable in action. The second problem with Jitsi is the
+ video source . I have got a tv card and a web camera with my comp, and
+ Jitsi used to see the both and choose between them but last stable
+ releases see only tv card as it stands for /dev/video0. If those two
+ issues are corrected the application will come very useful as the other
+ hand Jitsi tends to offer all a user will need as features and
+ supported protocols.