Requested by: gabriel byrne (assas1n)

Some time ago, the library or package finder on opensuse.org was
changed. The new version is too confusing to use, needing several
unncesary clicks here and there. Plus, its a pain trying to find
libraries or packages made by common users. Also, the link pointing to
those users repositories is gone, making the task of installing user
made packages a hasle.
In my opinion, bringing the classic finder back would be great.

#1: Stian Viskjer (im_unbob) (2012-04-29 10:51:21)
Hi,
"The new version is too confusing to use, needing several unncesary
clicks here and there." Using the smb libcsync plugin as an example:
1) You go to http://software.opensuse.org/
(http://software.opensuse.org/)
2) Search for "libcsync".
3) Click "libcsync-plugin-smb".
4) Click "Direct Install".
I think this is the most important part of the interface (regular
users) and I fail to see how this could be any simpler...
"Plus, it's a pain trying to find libraries or packages made by common
users. Also, the link pointing to those users repositories is gone,
making the task of installing user made packages a hasle."
1) You go to http://software.opensuse.org/
(http://software.opensuse.org/)
2) Search for "libcsync".
3) Click "libcsync-plugin-smb".
4) Click "Show other versions".
5) Click "Show unstable packages".
6) Click the project:repository-package-link to the left and you are
sent to build.opensuse.org (or you can download RPMs / 1 Click Install
it).
Not that difficult? Sorry if I am missing the point...
-- Stian

#2: Carlos Robinson (robin_listas) (2012-04-29 14:39:12) (reply to #1)
> Not that difficult? Sorry if I am missing the point... Where is the
direct link in the first page to add the repository to Yast? What we
find instead is the broken 1 click, or the build service page of the
project.
This search page is of use to developers, not users.

#3: gabriel byrne (assas1n) (2012-04-29 19:18:30) (reply to #1)
Just as Carlos Robinson said, please try adding the repository in which
the library or package is located into YaST. I've read time and time
again that 1 click installs are not the optimal way of installing
packages.

+ #4: Stian Viskjer (im_unbob) (2012-05-02 17:24:54) (reply to #3)
+ Seems like the "Direct Install" only is available if the package
+ resides in official repositories. If it's not then one has to click
+ "Show unstable packages" and "1 Click Install" from there. Perhaps
+ "semi-official" repositories like "server:php:applications" should be
+ included in a "Direct Install" - not much point in only having "Direct
+ Install" for packages one can already install from the package
+ manager... For example, Wordpress. If I click "Show unstable packages"
+ I can "1 Click Install" Wordpress from the "server:php:applications"
+ repository.
+ Direct Install (1 Click Install) should add the required repositories
+ and if it doesn't then I suppose it's a bug somewhere... do you have an
+ example of a program/lib where "1 Click Install" doesn't work
+ properly?

List Navigation
This Thread