[openFATE 313151] Opensuse 12.2 - kde update conflicts - there needs to be only one!
Feature changed by: Mário Castanheira (SpeccyMan)
Feature #313151, revision 4
Title: Opensuse 12.2 - kde update conflicts - there needs to be only
one!

Requested by: Jedi Beeftrix (jedibeeftrix)

not a technical person so only a limited ability to explain this, but
here goes: back in the day we used YAST, it found updates and installed
them, all was ok in the world. then we needed desktop notifiers to
inform the user that new updates were available, and all was good in
the world. then we decided that the notifier ought to be able to
install updates, and two parallel systems were born, and thus was
conflict brought into the world. then we had kpackagekit which promised
to return the user to the blessed lands of update
management+notification nirvana, but the dream was not realised. then
apper arrived promising to correct the flaws of kpackagekit, but still
we get conflicts were one service is blocked by the (invisible)
operation of the other. ---------------------------- We need a simpler
system: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2012-01/msg00144.html
for 12.2, can we make apper call YAST to install updates, or YAST use
packagekit as the 'backend', but not have two parallel systems of
updates that invariably tie themselves in knots?
kind regards
JBT

+ #1: Mário Castanheira (speccyman) (2012-01-31 16:30:09)
+ Totally agree!!! I really don't know what to use anymore. :(
+ Apper seems a nice idea... But it's just that: a nice idea! Because it
+ does not work properly. For newbies, however, yast creates fear because
+ users are looking for apps and not packages.
+ Now, a nice update notifier and something like this:
+ https://features.opensuse.org/312489 (312489) - Add a SHOW ONLY
+ APPLICATIONS option in YaST's Software Management could make Apper,
+ kpackagekit and things like that unneeded.
+ Why not put all efforts on YaST and make it more pleasant to user's
+ view and remove all the redundant software.
+ Really, as far as i understand we have YOU and Software Management,
+ both on top of Zypper and then we have Apper on top of PackageKit which
+ then is also on top of Zypper. And all of this are tools for software
+ management that basically all do the same thing... Do this seem like a
+ mess?! Did i miss to understand something?! Or is this actually a very
+ BIG mess?!
+ Software Management module should take care of ALL that is related to
+ software: Installations, removes, Updates, upgrades and so on... All in
+ one place, all easy to use, yet keeping all the power that experts need
+ and use now.
+ i'm all for it!

List Navigation