[openFATE 309721] Make forums.opensuse.org true international
Feature changed by: Alex Minton (Minton)
Feature #309721, revision 13
Title: Make forums.opensuse.org true international

- Hackweek V: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Infrastructure: Done

Requested by: Yury Tsarev (xnull)

Current situation at forums.o.o is that newcomer non-english users have
to find workaround of manual language switch before they can read forum
branches in their native language. It is incovnenient, old-fashioned
and just ugly.
There are two ways to solve this problem.
1) Dirty hack with apache rewrite rules wich resolves user's browser
language and makes automatic redirect to current language. The example
part of apache config for russian users is here :
RewriteEngine on RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Language}
(^ru) [NC] # RU redirects RewriteRule ^$   /?langid=4 [L,R]
2) Convert all backend data to UTF-8. This will be the beautiful and
correct solution.

#1: Per Jessen (pjessen) (2010-06-09 08:02:25)
1) should be done anyway, in my opinion. Not much of a hack either,
it's the normal way for multi-lingual sites to pick the default
language.

#2: Ilya Chernykh (ansus) (2010-07-22 12:45:38)
I also would like to point out that the forum's notifications sent by e-
mail to Russian users are encoded in something awkward way so there is
no possibility te read them. Even the heuristic de-cipherer program
Shtirlitz cannot determine the encoding.