[openFATE 309221] Simplify adding OBS repos
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #309221, revision 6
Title: Simplify adding OBS repos

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
reject reason: Moving to 11.4.

Requested by: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky)

When I want to add a build service repository, I have to find a quite
cryptic URL, such as
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2.
Much of the information in this URL is redundant and error-prone, such
as the domain and the distribution version.
It would be much nicer if Zypper and YaST knew about the repo structure
of the OBS, so I could type something like obs://KDE:KDE4:Factory:
Desktop, and have Zypper/YaST figure out the rest.
Extra points if browsers could figure out that "obs://" URLs should be
handled by YaST.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: This reduces error sources. For example, if I provided
some repository that provides some closed-source drivers, I would
currently have to provide a gigantic list of repository URLs for all
supported openSUSE versions. With the proposed change, the description
for how to use such a repository would boil down to: 1. Add the
repository "obs://home:foobar:importantdrivers". 2. Do a system
upgrade. With the browser integration, we could even have something
like a one-click installation for repositories.

#2: Stefan Majewsky (majewsky) (2012-01-22 22:47:20)
Since nothing happens here, I've written my own wrapper scripts. The
"obs-tools" package in the "home:majewsky" repository contains "obs-
addrepo" which implements this usecase, and also "obs-quickinstall"
which acts as a CLI counterpart of 1-click install.
Project page: http://www.bethselamin.de/obs-tools/

+ #3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2012-01-23 22:32:06)
+ Note that zypper already knows the obs:// scheme (by now).
+ # zypper ar obs://security/netfilter nf
+ URI: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security/netfilter