[New: openFATE 313162] Update VMware version in VMX files
Feature added by: M. Edward Ed Borasky (znmeb)

Feature #313162, revision 1
Title: Update VMware version in VMX files

SUSE Studio: Unconfirmed

Requested by: M. Edward Ed Borasky (znmeb)

The current version of SUSE Studio creates VMware virtual machines that are
many versions behind where VMware is. I believe they're currently being
generated as version 4, while VMware has versions 5, 6, 6.5, 7 and 8. I would
say generate them at version 7 - VMware Workstation 8 just came out a few
months ago and I don't know how many people have upgraded that far yet. But
just about everyone who's *active* on VMware should be at least on 7.

Test Case:
Create a virtual machine in SUSE Studio. Download it and open it in VMware
Workstation. You'll get a dialog asking if you want to upgrade it.

Use Case:
The current version of VMware machines won't play with the "Unity" option.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Mostly it's because of Unity in VMware Player. Player doesn't
have the upgrade option, and I don't want my users to have to buy Workstation
to use Unity.

List Navigation