[openFATE 312327] allow configuration of offline USB printer
Feature changed by: Johannes Meixner (jsmeix)
Feature #312327, revision 4
Title: allow configuration of offline USB printer

Requested by: Jean-Daniel Dodin (jdd)

Now it's impossible to configure a local printer is it's not detectedn
why?

Use Case:
my friend come at my home with his 11.4 install and ask me to configure
his USB printer. I can't do it with yast, cups or hpsetup.
Years ago I could do with vi, but now it's a bit too difficult with
cups to do things by hand

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Linux/openSUSE have a lot of printers available. USB or
// ones don't need to be connected to be installed if we know all of
them. It's very desirable when you try to move some user from windows
to openSUSE and have to configure openSUSE when not all the hardware is
present. This can be done with any network printer but not with local.
I know most local printer are detected and installed nearly
automatically, but it's even better if it's done in advance.

#1: Johannes Meixner (jsmeix) (2011-08-16 09:21:24)
By design how CUPS works for USB printers since CUPS 1.2 (i.e. since
openSUSE 10.2) you cannot set up an USB printer which is not
autodetected by CUPS so that you cannot set up an USB printer which is
not connected. Only the new style USB DeviceURI usb://make/model?
serial=number can be used because only this kind of URI works for more
than one USB printer. The old style URI can permute which printer is
accessed via which /dev/usb/lp* device node depending on the sequence
how the printers are switched on.
When the CUPS backend "usb" cannot detect the printer it cannot report
the right usb://make/model?serial=number device URI for the particular
model. But without the right device URI it is not possible to set up a
printe queue. For background information see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

+ #2: Johannes Meixner (jsmeix) (2012-01-19 13:00:03)
+ See also "A careless backend for a single USB printer" at
+ http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS