[openFATE 313030] AppSet instead of Apper
Feature changed by: Simone Dedo (Templare)
Feature #313030, revision 10
Title: AppSet instead of Apper

Requested by: Simone Dedo (templare)

AppSet http://appset.altervista.org/joomla/en can be the default
package manager on openSUSE cause, is written in QT and other
distribution such Archlinux and Chakra Linux (know for his addiction
with KDE desktop). 1)Automatical generation of applications sections
(games, office, multimedia, internet etc.) 2)An embedded web browser
that shows selected applications homepages 3)An embedded feed reader
that shows news from configured distribution 4)A Tray Icon that
periodically shows available upgrades 5)The possibility to choose a
touchscreen suitable and animated view 6)Administrator packages
management (Upgrades, installs, removes applications) 7)Periodical
packages database update 8)Checks dependencies contraints 9)
Authentication structure that uses what is already installed to get
administrative privileges (only when needed), searching from {kdesu,
gksu, beesu, xdg-su or at least an xterm where it executes a sudo
command} 10)Cache cleaner tool (to free disk space) 11)Can use ad-hoc
libraries for a specific distribution or, like in default, it uses an
already existing package manager CLI frontend 11)Requires only Qt libs
as installation dependency
What about?

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: I believe AppSet can be a better package manager instead
of KpackageKit or Apper (a new on openSUSE 12.1).

#1: Danny Roberts (kemra102) (2011-12-05 10:48:28)
I think there is value in adding it as an optional package 1st so that
people can test and evaluate the application before making it the
default.

#2: Tim Edwards (tk83) (2011-12-05 11:42:19)
Does it use PackageKit? I'd have thought the last thing we need is to
re-invent the wheel from scratch given how much work has gone into
getting packagekit's zypp backend working.
I reckon the best thing is to package it in the repositories and let
people test it.

#3: melchiaros melchiaros (melchiaros) (2011-12-05 18:59:25)
In past there were many problems with KPackageKit, not only on
openSUSE.
My interest is: Is it more stable and did it not behave like a donkey
when you try to kill it than KPackageKit?

#4: Tim Edwards (tk83) (2011-12-05 19:16:46) (reply to #3)
KPackageKit and PackageKit are two different things. Both KPackageKit
and the new version (called 'Apper') use PackageKit as the package
installation backend, and to be fair a lot of the problems in 11.4 were
actually problems in how PackageKit interfaces with zypp.
In short the point I was making is that building a piece of software
that interfaces with zypp is complex, because zypp itself is complex.
So yeah package this up and see how it goes, but I'd be interested to
know how it interfaces with the underlying packaging system (zypp) and
why that's going to be better than PackageKit with all the work that's
gone into it.

#5: Simone Dedo (templare) (2012-01-05 23:37:22)
First things first, I wish to apologize if my answer has come a bit
late. What follows is primarily directed to developers. So, let's
briefly clarify some facts about AppSet: AppSet was born for Archlinux,
in order to solve the problem of the (very) frequent changes to the
packet management system (libalpm)'s APIs. Such changes make it so that
substantial modifications to the high level packet managers using
libalpm's API are necessary. Because of this, the package managers
would stop working every time the backend went through an upgrade
(which is still happening as we speak). A layer of compatibility with
libalpm's APIs has also been compiled for PackageKit, but it obviously
suffers from the same drawbacks, and still does not seem to work
properly. Differently from these managers, AppSet does not directly
make use of APIs in C language, instead it uses a command line based
frontend, reading its output by using regular expressions and other
tools. Specifically, Archlinux uses "pacman" as a CLI frontend (which
is constantly kept up to date by the same libalpm team). Thus, AppSet
employs "pacman" to work on Archlinux. To configure AppSet for it to
work with another CLI packet manager it is necessary to create a
configuration file for that purpose. The configuration file is
structured like this: upgrade=pacman -Su --needed install=pacman -S --
needed remove=pacman -Rsd query_local_info_byname=pacman -Qi
query_remote_byname=pacman -Ssq etc. As stated by the AppSet
developers, other entities like PCLinuxOS and Sabayon have recently
made an attempt of porting, in order to use it. The way I see it, it
would mean a huge improvement for openSUSE, as far as packet managers
go. I don't mean to belittle nor criticize the work which has been done
till now with packagekit, which I used to consider an excellent packet
manager, but honestly I have never seen it work flawlessly on openSUSE
(KDE side, on GNOME seems to work correctly), and I've been using
openSUSE since version 10.2 (if I remember correctly, it has been in
use since version 11.0, or 11.1)
My best wishes for your work, which I sincerely hope will make openSUSE
the best Linux choice on the market.
Cordially, Templare

+ #6: Simone Dedo (templare) (2012-01-18 19:32:24)
+ Update