[openFATE 313151] opensuse 12.2: kde update conflicts - there needs to be only one!
Feature changed by: Jedi Beeftrix (Jedibeeftrix)
Feature #313151, revision 2
Title: opensuse 12.2: kde update conflicts - there needs to be only
one!

Requested by: Jedi Beeftrix (jedibeeftrix)

not a technical person so only a limited ability to explain this, but
here goes: back in the day we used YAST, it found updates and installed
- them, all was good in the world. then we needed desktop notifiers to
+ them, all was ok in the world. then we needed desktop notifiers to
inform the user that new updates were available, and all was good in
the world. then we decided that the notifier ought to be able to
- install updates, and two parallel systems were born, and was conflict
- brought into the world. then we had kpackagekit which promised to
- return the user to the blessed lands of all, but the dream was not
- realised. then apper arrived promising to correct the flaws of
- kpackagekit, but still we get conflicts were one service is blocked by
- the (invisible) operation of the other. ---------------------------- We
- need a simpler system:
- http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2012-01/msg00144.html for 12.2,
- can we make apper call YAST to install updates, or YAST use packagekit
- as the 'backend', but not have two parallel systems of updates that
- invariably tie themselves in knots? kind regards
+ install updates, and two parallel systems were born, and thus was
+ conflict brought into the world. then we had kpackagekit which promised
+ to return the user to the blessed lands of update
+ management+notification nirvana, but the dream was not realised. then
+ apper arrived promising to correct the flaws of kpackagekit, but still
+ we get conflicts were one service is blocked by the (invisible)
+ operation of the other. ---------------------------- We need a simpler
+ system: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2012-01/msg00144.html
+ for 12.2, can we make apper call YAST to install updates, or YAST use
+ packagekit as the 'backend', but not have two parallel systems of
+ updates that invariably tie themselves in knots?
+ kind regards
JBT

List Navigation