[New: openFATE 313146] Replace KDE NM plasmoid with wicd-KDE
Feature added by: Dan MacDonald (danboid)

Feature #313146, revision 1
Title: Replace KDE NM plasmoid with wicd-KDE

Requested by: Dan MacDonald (danboid)

Overall I have been greatly impressed with the KDE version of OS 12.1 and I
feel this distro is 98% of the way to being the perfect desktop Linux
distribution. There is just one dodgy app letting the side down and that is the
KDE Networkmanager plasmoid. I'm sure the KDE NMP is fine for people who only
use ethernet but it seems to suffer multiple problems dealing with wifi such
as: * I seem to be to be able to connect to wifi networks OK if its the first
time. After that it seems unwilling to connect to a network that has already
been used - after a reboot for exanmple - even if 'Connect automatically' has
been chosen. * Switching between access points/networks in unintuitive, in fact
I still don't know how to do this using the NM plasmoid. Its usability stinks
and I find its GUI overly busy, cluttered and confusing. * Will someone please
just kill KDE wallet and related tech now please? I have never and likely will
never want a password to access my passwords!! The whole idea seems dumb to me
and unfortunately the KNMP has bought into this way of doing things.
Thankfully, wicd stores wifi keys without any extra hassle of putting a
password on your passwords passwords! :)

I know that if I had not been a long-time Linux user who was not aware of the
possibility of installing wicd-kde as a hassle-free, working and user-friendly
replacement I would've very likely gave up hope on using opensuse. Like most
other desktop users I need wifi to work in a easy and reliable fashion and this
fundamental requirement is not fulfilled by the KDE Networkmanager plasmoid
which should be replaced in the standard OS KDE distro by wicd-kde.

List Navigation