[openFATE 313057] Automatically enable new version branch as target
Feature changed by: Juergen Weigert (jnweiger)
Feature #313057, revision 6
Title: Automatically enable new version branch as target

Buildservice: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei)

We should automatically enable the new release branch as a build target
for all projects that build against factory when we branch. For all
projects that build for new version -1 and factory. This avoids the
hassle of maintainers having to go in and turning this on explicitly.
My guess would be that there are fewer maintainers that do not want
this behavior than there are maintainers that want this behavior.
The other alternative would be to add yet another setting to the meta
data of a project that says "build-new-target-on-release-branching"
then maintainers can choose this depending on their preference. I don't
think we need such a flag, but it gives control to project maintainers.
ALso see the discussion on the build-service mailing list:
http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-buildservice/2011-12/msg00032.html

#1: Christian Wittmer (computersalat) (2011-12-08 14:47:06)
good catch, :) +1

#2: Lars Müller (lmuelle) (2011-12-09 19:01:00)
I've tried to add this comment some days back and while again opening
the page a conflict was displayed. :/ This issue had been discussed in
the thread
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2011-12/msg00032.html Adrian's
contradiction including arguments followed with
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2011-12/msg00037.html Looks
like we somehow have to balance between the potential waste of
resources and smoothness of the service to the users.
Therefore Robert suggested with
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2011-12/msg00042.html a
more advanced approach. And to this one I gave my +1.

+ #3: Juergen Weigert (jnweiger) (2012-01-11 15:51:40)
+ Projects in the build service can inherit build targets from a parent
+ project. I suggest to have a kind of 'virtual root' project, that is
+ used to define the default targets for all projects. This would be the
+ centralized place, where we can fade out 11.2 and add 12.1 once for
+ all. Unless overridden by individual project settings.
+ Apart from that, what is wrong with the following logic: - The
+ procedure of forking a released project from factory should include
+ adding the released project as a build target to all projects that
+ build against factory. Factory installations are much less than
+ released products. Thus field testing would greatly benefit, if the
+ packages are available automatically. Currently we have to beg each
+ maintainer for each release.