[openFATE 311043] switch to a UEFI-ready bootloader by default
Feature changed by: Roger Luedecke (Shadowolf7)
Feature #311043, revision 7
Title: switch to a UEFI-ready bootloader by default

Requested by: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen)

While reading a review of a Sandy Bridge motherboard in Anandtech it
was pointed that upcoming intel motherboards will ship with a UEFI
firmware instead of a BIOS. While reading the documentation for UEFI
firmware I noticed that the bootloader has to be a UEFI application. In
order to support this new hardware we need a bootloader that supports
UEFI booting, GRUB legacy as far as I know doesn't support this. I
think it's time to retire GRUB legacy and use GRUB2, elilo or rEFIt
(though this one is a long shot).

Relations:
- Update to GRUB v2 (feature/id: 308497)

#1: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2011-03-17 05:52:31)
I noticed elilo is available for openSUSE 11.4 but can it be installed
as an UEFI bootloader?

+ #2: Roger Luedecke (shadowolf7) (2011-12-14 01:17:25)
+ There is also BURG, which I do not know supports UEFI yet. But
+ considering the reluctance of various distros in using GRUB2 it makes
+ sense to simply fork as the BURG has with GRUB.