[openFATE 312120] Make default KDE theme greenish, to match whole system
Feature changed by: Dino E (D_E)
Feature #312120, revision 10
Title: Make default KDE theme greenish, to match whole system

openSUSE 12.1: Unconfirmed

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Dino E (d_e)

We really need to make default KDE theme green, to match whole system
greenish appearance. It's involves just two steps: make default green
icon set (like
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen-Refit+2+-+Green+Version?content=84683

(http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen-Refit+2+-+Green+Version?content=84683)
) and make default green colours (like
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ordinary+Green?content=107944
(http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ordinary+Green?content=107944)
)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It's kinda ugly when you have blue icons and colours in
otherwise green system. Also blue is highly overused nowadays -
remember default themes in windows xp-7, mac os x, and tons of other
linux distributions.

#1: m s (miki100) (2011-03-25 18:04:22)
Yes, that is great idea. I also wanted to submit it. Gnome version of
openSUSE has its great Sonar theme, while KDE desktop always sticks
with blue Oxygen. Changing colour scheme to this from description would
be good (I also changed my color scheme to that), changing icons too.
openSUSE was and will be green ;) Have a lot of fun! :)

#2: Benjamin Misja (alvanx) (2011-03-28 12:57:03)
Hi,
I created Ordinary Green, and I fully agree that openSUSE shouldn't use
the default blue KDE colors. (Thank you for taking my color scheme as
an example! :-) ) For icons though, too much green might make it look
unprofessional. There might be a point for using green instead of blue
folder icons. Take Mint, for example: I think they (used to) go a
little too far on greenifying everything (now they use Faenza for most
things, which looks real nice). No problem with a few good accents of
green on those awesome Oxygen icons though.

#3: m s (miki100) (2011-06-06 15:35:27)
I created another color scheme, which we could use in KDE. It is based
on Sonar from GNOME. More details on my blog here:
http://my.opera.com/miki100/blog/2011/06/05/sonar-color-scheme-for-kde

#4: melchiaros melchiaros (melchiaros) (2011-06-07 18:51:40)
All green?
It would be a consistent style, but ... it could be a little bit to
much. Green and blue is as combination quite o.k. You know blue make
you be stay in freedom. Very good when the system is not so smooth
working.

#5: m s (miki100) (2011-06-08 09:23:20) (reply to #4)
OK, maybe my color scheme is a bit too green, but Benjamin Misja's
Ordinary Green fits openSUSE much better than default KDE colors,
because now only wallpaper is green. Of course please don't think that
I'm obsessed with green color ;) . I only don't understand why we can't
change default blue colors to green.

+ #6: Dino E (d_e) (2011-06-09 13:09:37) (reply to #4)
+ All Green!!
+ There simply can't be "too much" consistency. The design is consistent
+ or it isn't. Like with OpenSUSE, where GNOME theme is very well done,
+ polished and consistent and KDE theme is default, which simply doesn't
+ integrates with GRUB, BootSplash and KDM themes and fall apart. If you
+ like blue and it makes you feel something, it is your personal
+ preference, but for me blue is killingly boring - any feelings is
+ subjective. What is objective is that "blue is highly overused". Take
+ default theme of any Windows version - from Windows 95 to upcoming
+ Windows 8 they are all-blue. Take default theme of almost any Mac OS X
+ version - from Pre X to upcoming 10.7 Lion they are all-blue. Take
+ default theme of almost any Linux distribution - they are all-blue.
+ OpenSUSE NEEDS as good, polished and consistent default KDE theme as it
+ already have in GNOME. Besides being visually pleasing it will allow
+ OpenSUSE to stand-out from other blue-faced distribution twins.