[openFATE 310327] Use systemd session manager instead of SysVinit/upstart
Feature changed by: Roman Bysh (Romanator)
Feature #310327, revision 36
Title: Use systemd session manager instead of SysVinit/upstart

openSUSE-11.4: Evaluation by project manager

Requested by: Vicenç Juan Tomàs Monserrat (vtomasr5)
Product Manager: (Novell)
Project Manager: (Novell)
Engineering Manager: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)

systemd (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd) is a system
and session manager for Linux, compatible with SysV and LSB init
scripts. systemd provides aggressive parallelization capabilities, uses
socket and D-Bus activation for starting services, offers on-demand
starting of daemons, keeps track of processes using Linux cgroups,
supports snapshotting and restoring of the system state, maintains
mount and automount points and implements an elaborate transactional
dependency-based service control logic. It can work as a drop-in
replacement for sysvinit.
TODO:
- how to have services enabled by default?
- boot.crypto
- have all services of a default install started natively

Relations:
- Init Systems: To System V, systemd, or upstart? (feature/id: 310421)

#1: Jon Nelson (jnelson-suse) (2010-08-15 00:05:47)
sysvinit works and it works very well. While some other distros are
going to Upstart, honestly I don't really see any significant advantage
Upstart has over sysvinit, or even the Makefile-based parallel task
startup. However, systemd seems like it actually rethinks the entire
process, and for the better. I would like to see more
supervise/runit/freedt-like functionality in systemd, but if one is to
choose from among sysvinit, upstart, and systemd - it seems that there
is no compelling reason to choose upstart instead of sysvinit (except
for considerably smaller init scripts) but systemd has a far greater
architectural technological advantage.

#12: matthias propst (l1zard) (2011-02-23 17:23:03) (reply to #1)
i agree. we really should stay with sys V. And it doesn't bother me
whether i have upstart starts faster since i restart my computer once
in a month.

#2: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2010-08-15 07:50:39)
I've looked at systemd's git repo and there are already seven releases
tagged in it. Also, Kay Sievers has pushed several suse-specific
patches, so it should work on openSUSE. The only thing we miss is input
on its stability and reliability. If it is, I think it's worth
packaging it and offer it as an option, just like we do it for upstart.
Whether to make it the default or not, I think it's imperative to have
Kay Sievers opinion and ultimately leave the decision to coolo.

#3: Denny Beyer (lumnis) (2010-08-23 21:22:36)
Now, that fedora uses systemd as default system, I hope systemd will
make it as default into openSUSE 11.4. Any objections?

#4: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2010-09-15 05:58:42)
Apparently systemd won't be the default init system in Fedora 14. There
are sitll concerns about its stability and has been deferred to Fedora
15. I think it would be wise to do the same for openSUSE. Lets make it
the default for the next version.

#5: Denny Beyer (lumnis) (2010-09-16 11:41:26) (reply to #4)
I have seen those news as well. Maybe good to make it default in the
next version, any chance to get it as an option in 11.4 - for people
interested?

#6: Stephen Shaw (decriptor) (2010-09-16 17:26:31) (reply to #5)
I was asking coolo about this the other day... I think it is built in
OBS somewhere, so that doesn't seem unrealistic if not already the
case.  I'm sure some serious testing and help with this would go a long
way to really considering it for openSUSE.  I believe though it also
requires at least the 2.6.35 kernel as of right now.  The 2.6.36 rc4
kernel is packaged in Kernel repository (on OBS).  The issue I had with
2.6.36 was that something was deprecated and drivers such as nvidia and
virtualbox wouldn't build.

#8: Ralph Ulrich (ulenrich) (2010-09-17 15:46:52) (reply to #4)
Sure there are concerns: init is core! Against Fedora 14 decision was
made up because of pure feelings (one other important decision holder
failed to attend fedoras irc meeting). If this is taken as grounds for
openSUSE decision...  :(
Reason to defer: Is the interface settled to stable grounds? Chance of
openSUSE: We release much later than Fedora14.

#7: Bill Pye (phoenix911uk) (2010-09-17 14:10:04)
I'm running systemd on my current 11.3 system and it seems to have no
problems that I've experience and gives a nice quick boot speed to the
desktop.
I'd like to add my support for this being included as an option in the
next (11.4) release of openSUSE. It's easier to test new features if
they're easy to install, not everyone knows their way around the
repository system (that includes me). :)

#9: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2010-09-27 00:48:59)
The community of Fedora had a testing day devoted solely on systemd
testing in order to report problems in it and ultimately to decide
whether to make it the default or not. They also had list of criteria
that systemd had to meet (but the criteria changed at the last minute).
I was just thinking that we could do something similar. We could create
our own list of criteria and test cases for systemd to pass (I think
coolo is the right person). The openSUSE testing team and the community
could provide the feedback and let coolo make the decision.

#10: Konstantinos Koudaras (warlordfff) (2011-02-22 22:16:47)
I proposed to look at this idea into GSOC ideas wiki page . We are
looking for mentors so if anyone wants to help, please add your name in
the wiki page (http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas )

#11: Manu Gupta (manugupt1) (2011-02-23 05:36:09) (reply to #10)
I think it will be there already in 11.4 RC2 has it..

#13: Roman Bysh (romanator) (2011-02-23 17:47:52) (reply to #11)
Systemd is under heavy development. However, it has not been perfected
to 100% for 11.4.
The file "systemd" has been included for users to try out in openSUSE
11.4. When and if "systemd" is perfected to 100%, we may see it
incorporated into openSUSE 11.5.

#14: Robert Xu (bravoall1552) (2011-04-03 03:35:50)
Wouldn't making systemd a default for openSUSE also make it easier for
plymouth to become the default bootsplash as well?

+ #15: Roman Bysh (romanator) (2011-06-06 19:25:40)
+ We may see this in openSUSE 12.1. Keep following the Factory
+ mailinglist.