[openFATE 312108] openSUSE GNOME Spin - A competitor to Mint, Fusion, Fuduntu and friends...
Feature changed by: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh)
Feature #312108, revision 4
Title: openSUSE GNOME Spin - A competitor to Mint, Fusion, Fuduntu and
friends...

Requested by: Nelson Marques (ketheriel)

Dear all, I'm consulting the openSUSE community regarding the creation
of a openSUSE GNOME2 spin featuring some 'special' features and with a
heavy customization layer, including some testing software. The main
purpose for this is to present a openSUSE powered competitor to what is
happening on other distributions, and to rival strong names such as
Mint Linux, Fusion (Fedora), Fuduntu (Fedora) and friends... The
original plans (if we can do it legally) are: 1. Featured software: +
Plymouth (taking advantage of Jeff's work, and beta testing it); + sub-
pixel font rendering; + Ayatana/Ubuntu indicators/Social Desktop; +
Appmenu stack (OSX like menus for GTK+ apps); + anything that might be
attractive and I'm forgetting; 2. Artwork/Customization layer: + Faenza
icon theme (supports indicators); + GTK+ theme (light colors, I don't
people depressed, mac'ish style or something really out of the box); +
Community wallpapers; + Custom plymouth theme; 3. Software - Additional
pre-configured repos: + Sub-pixel font rendering; + Packman Essentials
(codecs); + GNOME:Ayatana project; This is a raw idea and can be
worked. Community feedback is very important... Feel free to leave your
wishes! Maybe Santa will answer them! (the real one, not me!).
NM

Use Case:
Demonstrate that openSUSE provides the tools and solid platform to make
custom distributions easily, even for people with very very limited
skills such as myself.
Users who want something different should get something different, and
of course, powered by openSUSE!

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: * Because we want to promote our tools; * Because were
loosin' terrain in this field to other distributions; * Because it
might bring additional value to openSUSE; * Because we can do it
better; * Because we also want to give something to the 'cool kids'; *
Because we're not shy; * Because we might improve GNOME visibility on
openSUSE; * Because we dare to go a step further!

#1: saulo aldighieri moraes (saul0) (2011-05-31 13:48:41)
I think it is the same from susestudio galley.

+ #2: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2011-06-06 13:18:52)
+ openSUSE does not need separate spins - the unified state from which
+ you can run either is just ok.