[New: openFATE 312475] Linux administrative toolkit
Feature added by: Sławomir Lach (Lachu)

Feature #312475, revision 1
Title: Linux administrative toolkit

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed
Priority
Requester: Neutral

Requested by: Sławomir Lach (lachu)

Create Linux administrative toolkit to provide multiple distribution
administrative tool. This set should contains cli, cui and gui tools. Also
prepare documentation of usability to help creating similar tools.

Also add metapackage to install each tool from this set.

Use Case:
Alex is a student. On school he learn Common Linux administrative tool. He will
install it on future work and won't teach a new administrative tools when
changing work, etc.

Peter works as repairer of computers. He will use the same administrative tools
on each computer, so he offer to work only if user allow to install it.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Actually Fedora with other teams creating tools like PackageKit,
PolicyKit, etc. That's great idea but some distribution have own administrative
tools, so don't ships fedora's tool. Linux have some problems on accessing to
school markets and allow to accessing some services, because no one set of
administrative tools are existing. We have many tools, like smart, Yast,
PackageKit, etc. but no promotional action, no set of this tool and no way to
install it by few clicks. To make Linux market bigger we need push Linux into
schools, but we need one popular set of tools to manage Linux desktop/server.

Teachers can't believe students will use the same distribution on work or home,
so Linux isn't popular in schools. I also in school teach Ubuntu and Fedora. On
high-school i works on Debian. In home in only uses OpenSUSE. When
administrator, student or teacher would install one common for many
distributions administrative set of tools via one click employers would have
less trouble with finding Linux administrators.

List Navigation