[openFATE 310478] SoftwareCenter
Feature changed by: Marko Kaznovac (kaznovac)
Feature #310478, revision 3
Title: SoftwareCenter

Requested by: Diogo Piçarra (xpetept)

One of the biggest usability problems in opensuse is it's  package
management system and Qt update apple. The update apple rarely works
and keeps blocking the YaST package manager. It's pointeless to have an
Qt and an GTK app to do the same thing when none of them are good. So
my proposal is to create a SoftwareCenter from scratch like the ubuntu
SoftwareCenter(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter). I really hate
ubuntu but this is one of the few good things ubuntu have. I think the
openSuse team should start by doing a specification wiki page like in
ubuntu. Some things i think that should be added to that specification
are: - ONE Qt based application(no GTK application) - update applet
integrated with the kde notification system. - no instalation blocking.
The user only need to click in an intall button to install the
application. if the user orders another instalation the instalation
will be queued. - One search to search everywhere(packages, webpin and
http://software.opensuse.org) even if the repositories is not instaled
or add had an option on a preferences dialog to search on non-official
repositories. Sorry for my bad english.

+ Relations:
+ - Ubuntu-like software center (feature/duplicate:
+ https://features.opensuse.org/308434)

#1: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-09-03 16:04:43)
I suppose this is a duplicate of Feature #310379: SUSE Application
Center