[openFATE 311163] packaging firefox add-ons
Feature changed by: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel)
Feature #311163, revision 6
Title: packaging firefox add-ons

Hackweek VI: Implementation

Requested by: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel)
Developer: (Novell)

We lack a way to be able to easily package firefox add-ons as rpm.
Packages of add-ons are useful both for the distro vendor and for
admins. Distro (or appliance) vendors may install some add-ons by
default. Admins want all users to have certain add-ons by default.
Moreover some add-ons are not noarch (like bonjourfoxy) and need to be
compiled specifically for each distro so a package is unavoidable.
To make all of that possible the firefox package needs to provide rpm
macros so spec files for add-ons become really simple. By creating a
script that downloads version, description etc from addons.mozilla.org
and automatically creates spec files the task of packaging add-ons
becomes a piece of cake.
See home:lnussel:firefox
(https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Alnussel%
3Afirefox) for current status.

#1: Martin Seidler (pistazienfresser) (2011-01-26 18:01:27)
There are already some (12 ?) addons packed in "lnussel" 's home
repository - cool!I do not really know the difference from
"Implementation" to status: "Done" here (additonal testing?).
All the best
pistazienfresser
P.S.: Hope I am not too bold if I 'misuse' this openFATE thread a bit
for connected features:On my included-in-trustfull-repository-firefox-
addon-wishlist would be also: - DownThemAll! Because of the automatic
use of Checksums if you are using Metalinks with Firefox and
DownThemAll!: * http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Metalink#Checksums *
http://software.opensuse.org - Maybe there is also some good working,
FOSS/FLOSS , cross-browser-working , secrue addon to sync bookmarks and
so on (but there may be just not an openSource addon for that porpose ;-
( compare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_browser_synchronizers )

+ #2: Ludwig Nussel (lnussel) (2011-01-28 15:31:51) (reply to #1)
+ I consider the feature done if Wolfgang accepts my submit requests for
+ changes to the firefox package.
+ I've added downthemall to the collection. What's desperately missing
+ though is a way to get notified about updated add-ons.

List Navigation
This Thread