[openFATE 311150] Log System Configuration Changes
Feature changed by: Daniel Lee (erget)
Feature #311150, revision 2
Title: Log System Configuration Changes

Requested by: E. Mangini (c0ff33)

Moving to a new version often (always?) requires manual configuration
of the new release to incorporate all the changes made over the life of
the current system. If these changes were logged to a central file, we
would, at a minimum, have a list to work with for manual changes, but
longer term that log could serve as a data source to automate the
configuation process.
I don't suggest everything could be handled this way, but certainly
some of the most tedious items. Two examples would be items changed
with yast sysconfig editor and the gnome config editor which could be
logged as:
:yymmddhhmmss :source :by :file|key :variable :old value :new value
:20110124164243 :yast :u :/etc/sysconfig/yast2 :"WANTED_GUI" :"auto" :"
qt"
:20110124164243 :gconf :u :/apps/nautilus/preferences :"enable_delete"
:"false" :"true"
:20110124164243 :gconf :u :/desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/file-
area :"max_total_items" :"8" :12"
The above, in whatever format is appropriate, could be read for manual
configuration, used by scripts, and expanded as needed to handle other
system changes. It would also allow the creation of an initial
"look+feel" which could be automatically applied as part of the install
process.

+ #1: Daniel Lee (erget) (2011-01-25 23:18:05)
+ Yeah, it could be stored in XML format so that the changes could be
+ applied to the new system. I tried upgrading my system from 11.2 to
+ 11.3 and regretted it in the long term, in the end I did a fresh
+ install and reapplied the customizations I'd done on the system.
+ Something like this would make that unnecessary. It'd also be easier to
+ migrate or duplicate systems without directly cloning.
+ Another option would be to expand AutoYaST to figure out what's been
+ changed in the system and then write it into AutoYaST's XML protocoll.

List Navigation