[New: openFATE 311150] Log System Configuration Changes
Feature added by: E. Mangini (C0ff33)

Feature #311150, revision 1
Title: Log System Configuration Changes

Requested by: E. Mangini (c0ff33)

Moving to a new version often (always?) requires manual configuration of the
new release to incorporate all the changes made over the life of the current
system. If these changes were logged to a central file, we would, at a minimum,
have a list to work with for manual changes, but longer term that log could
serve as a data source to automate the configuation process.

I don't suggest everything could be handled this way, but certainly some of the
most tedious items. Two examples would be items changed with yast sysconfig
editor and the gnome config editor which could be logged as:

:yymmddhhmmss :source :by :file|key :variable :old value :new value

:20110124164243 :yast :u :/etc/sysconfig/yast2 :"WANTED_GUI" :"auto" :"qt"

:20110124164243 :gconf :u :/apps/nautilus/preferences :"enable_delete"
:"false" :"true"

:20110124164243 :gconf :u :/desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/file-area
:"max_total_items" :"8" :12"

The above, in whatever format is appropriate, could be read for manual
configuration, used by scripts, and expanded as needed to handle other system
changes. It would also allow the creation of an initial "look+feel" which could
be automatically applied as part of the install process.

List Navigation