[openFATE 311112] libvirt driver for new xen toolstack
Feature changed by: James Fehlig (jfehlig)
Feature #311112, revision 4
Title: libvirt driver for new xen toolstack

Hackweek VI: Unconfirmed

Requested by: James Fehlig (jfehlig)

Xen 4.1.0 (due February 2011) will be the first release in which the
new xl/libxl (aka libxenlight [1]) toolstack will be the default,
preferred tool set. Although still included in the release, the legacy
xm/xend toolstack will be disabled and in process of deprecation.
libvirt needs a hypervisor driver that can communicate with the new Xen
toolstack. I'll be working on a libvirt driver for libxl during HW6.
[1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00436.html

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: There are many tools using libvirt: vm-install, virt-
manager, virt-viewer, vhostmd, libvirt-cim, ... None of these tools
will work with Xen 4.1.0 without a libvirt libxl driver.

+ #1: James Fehlig (jfehlig) (2011-01-24 17:31:25)
+ I've posted a RFC on implementation approaches of the libvirt
+ libxenlight driver on libvirt mailing list.
+ https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-January/msg00875.html
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-January/msg00875.html)
+ We have decided to go with an entirely new driver instead of adding
+ libxenlight support to existing Xen unified driver.
+ Let the coding begin ...

List Navigation
This Thread