[openFATE 311066] Autoconfiguration of Eucalyptus Cloud
Feature changed by: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei)
Feature #311066, revision 19
Title: Autoconfiguration of Eucalyptus Cloud

Hackweek VI: Unconfirmed
Priority
Requester: Neutral

Requested by: J. Daniel Schmidt (jdsn)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)

Since end of 2010 the packages for Eucalyptus Cloud have been improved
in order to work out of the box on SUSE systems. Nevertheless it
requires a lot of manual configuration work to setup an entire cloud.
The goal of this hackweek project is to autoconfigure as much as
possible (avahi/zeroconf) and maybe provide a simple configuration tool
to prompt for the remaining information and set it up.
If time permits we try to provide SUSE Studio images for all Eucalyptus
controllers.

#1: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei) (2011-01-19 15:06:08)
Work for automation is underway.
* Jiri Suchomel is working on a YaST module, I am testing and reporting
back to Jiri.
* I have a couple of python scripts that take care of auto registration
of Cloud nodes (not yet in the Virtualization:Cloud project)
Problems with automation:
* The biggest current problem is that Eucalyptus does not get along
with openSSL 1.0 (or openSSL 0.9.8h as found in SLES). This causes the
command line tools for registration of nodes etc. to fail. Registration
of nodes etc. currently only works through the browser, which
unfortunately makes this a manual process. I am working with the
Eucalyptus folks to address the issue regarding openSSL 1.0
* A second issue is the use of DHCP. Although I figured out how to add
an identification feature to the dhcp server running on the head node,
I have not figured out how to enforce that the client, i.e. cloud node,
only accepts an offer from the head node. This is a problem that needs
resolution, thus if a DHCP expert can explain how this works as part of
this hackweek project big progress would be made.
Robert

#2: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann) (2011-01-19 16:44:24) (reply to
#1)
It would be good to have this interoperable with Ubuntu eucalyptus nodes
and cloud-controllers, which IIRC use avahi mdns/zero-conf for mutual
autodetection.
This could even replace (some of) the DHCP magic.

+ #4: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei) (2011-01-19 19:35:09) (reply to #2)
+ I am fine using a discovery method that already exists. I am not sure
+ how to find out what Ubuntu is using though. I can install the Ubuntu
+ Enterprise cloud on a couple of systems, but that will not necessarily
+ help.
+ As far as DHCP is concerned I still think that a cloude node should get
+ it's address only from the dhcp server that is running on the head
+ node. Also, a given cloud node always has to get the same IP address
+ once it is registered. At least for the latter part of this problem
+ there has to be a solution in the Ubuntu ENterprise cloud product.

#3: J. Daniel Schmidt (jdsn) (2011-01-19 16:57:04) (reply to #1)
Doing it via DHCP was just one idea. I was not aware of the fact that
there are already better solutions in place like avahi.
When using avahi it even does not matter what network type (system,
static, managed) you use for the cloud. So we really should follow the
most compatible way. We even win the interoperability with Ubuntu for
free. So in one cloud we could have mixed nodes. We should not invest
in a SUSE-only solution in this case.

List Navigation
This Thread