[openFATE 311066] Autoconfiguration of Eucalyptus Cloud
Feature changed by: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei)
Feature #311066, revision 16
Title: Autoconfiguration of Eucalyptus Cloud

Hackweek VI: Unconfirmed
Priority
Requester: Neutral

Requested by: J. Daniel Schmidt (jdsn)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)
+ Developer: (Novell)
Developer: bernd wiedemann (bwiedemann)

Since end of 2010 the packages for Eucalyptus Cloud have been improved
in order to work out of the box on SUSE systems. Nevertheless it
requires a lot of manual configuration work to setup an entire cloud.
The goal of this hackweek project is to autoconfigure as much as
possible (avahi/zeroconf) and maybe provide a simple configuration tool
to prompt for the remaining information and set it up.
If time permits we try to provide SUSE Studio images for all Eucalyptus
controllers.

#1: Robert Schweikert (rjschwei) (2011-01-19 15:06:08)
Work for automation is underway.
* Jiri Suchomel is working on a YaST module, I am testing and reporting
back to Jiri.
* I have a couple of python scripts that take care of auto registration
of Cloud nodes (not yet in the Virtualization:Cloud project)
Problems with automation:
* The biggest current problem is that Eucalyptus does not get along
with openSSL 1.0 (or openSSL 0.9.8h as found in SLES). This causes the
command line tools for registration of nodes etc. to fail. Registration
of nodes etc. currently only works through the browser, which
unfortunately makes this a manual process. I am working with the
Eucalyptus folks to address the issue regarding openSSL 1.0
* A second issue is the use of DHCP. Although I figured out how to add
an identification feature to the dhcp server running on the head node,
I have not figured out how to enforce that the client, i.e. cloud node,
only accepts an offer from the head node. This is a problem that needs
resolution, thus if a DHCP expert can explain how this works as part of
this hackweek project big progress would be made.
Robert

List Navigation
This Thread