[openFATE 310123] create NET and DVD isos suitable to USB-boot
Feature changed by: Stephan Kulow (coolo)
Feature #310123, revision 6
Title: create NET and DVD isos suitable to USB-boot

openSUSE-11.4: New

Info Provider: (Novell)
Requested by: Bernhard Wiedemann (bmwiedemann)

In the past years, netbooks and other computers without a CD/DVD drive
have become more common.
While there is http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick , there has
always been some confusion among users on which openSUSE iso images are
suitable for USB boot and on how to get them working. People have been
finding out the hard way that DVD and NET isos can not be used as
easily.
However, at least for NET isos, this can be changed by running
isohybrid openSUSE-NET-...iso
DVD isos can be made bootable this way, too, but there is some extra
work involved to make it find its data.
If this does not have disadvantages, iso images should be adjusted
during the creation process to make them bootable from USB-storage
devices.
It is also good to be able to "dd if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M"

This feature complements (i.e. is orthognal to)

#1: Clayton smaug42 (smaug42) (2010-08-20 17:22:29)
I was just writing up a new Feature request when I thought I should do
one more search to make sure I wasn't submitting a duplicate... and I
stumbled on this one... so here is a copy/paste of what I was going to
submit....
---------
DVD drives are fast falling out of use just like floppy drives
did.  More and more computers - laptops especially - are being shipped
without DVD drives.  Bootable USB devices are being used as a
replacement.
openSUSE provides LiveCD builds that can easily be written to boatable
USB devices using software such as unetbootin or SUSE Studio
Imagewriter.  Currently (up to openSUSE 11.3) the full DVD ISO cannot
easily be written to DVD.
You can use applications such as unetbootin to write the DVD ISO to
USB, but the result is poor.  The USB boots, and the installer errors
out.  It switches to text mode, and the user is forced to cancel part
of the install, manually restart the install, and select the install
device.  It's not very nice, or very professional.
For openSUSE 11.4 and up I'd like to see the DVD ISO be a isohybrid ISO
in the same way the LiveCD ISO are created.  Make it easy for the DVD
ISO to be written to any medium, DVD or USB, using common tools such as
unetbootin or SUSE Studio Imagewriter

#2: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-20 13:05:44)
Coolo, could you give some info what's the state here?

+ #3: Stephan Kulow (coolo) (2011-01-03 13:31:28) (reply to #2)
+ Michael Schroeder wanted to implement this in kiwi