[New: openFATE 311028] Add "Enable/disable numlock at startup" option to installer and YaST
Feature added by: Pieter De Decker (pdedecker)

Feature #311028, revision 1
Title: Add "Enable/disable numlock at startup" option to installer and YaST

Requested by: Pieter De Decker (pdedecker)

Related thread: https://features.opensuse.org/310152

Some people who don't have a QWERTY layout can't use the numbers on the top of
the keyboard. I'm an AZERTY user
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Belgian_pc_keyboard.svg) so I have to hold
Shift to use the numbers on top of the keyboard. Therefore I usually prefer
using the numpad, but that isn't possible if the numlock is switched off.
Auto-enabling numlock at startup would be a huge time-saver.

Some people on the other hand prefer having numlock switched off. Quoting Ned
Ulbricht: "Enabling NumLock at boot would be very annoying on ThinkPads (and
possibly other laptops) that overlay the numeric keypad on top of the
alphabetic keys."

I think the best way to resolve this little annoyance is to offer the user a
choice during install as to what the default setting should be.

Or even better: if it's possible to auto-detect which numlock setting is most
desirable depending on the keyboard, the user doesn't even need to be presented
this option.

Additionally, I'd like to see this option added to the "System Keyboard Layout"
applet in YaST.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: This satisfies people who need to disable numlock for their
keyboard to work properly and people who prefer using the numpad.

List Navigation