[openFATE 308440] Official Screensaver
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:57:23 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Satoru Matsumoto (HeliosReds)
Feature #308440, revision 10
Title: Official Screensaver

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds)
+ reject reason: Since 11.3 has been already released, this cannot be
+ implemanted in 11.3.

Requested by: Quentin Denis (queden)

What about an official screensaver for openSUSE (for brand
recognition)? Like Windows always has had, something humble and soft ,
but stylish and elegant ! Currently there is no useful screensaver,
either they are too crappy or too agressive.
Regards,
Quentin

#1: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2009-12-02 00:59:16)
This is a great idea! Very simple way how to promote openSUSE and
create a brand recognition ...
I think there is no need to create a new screensaver, just preselect
Flying openSUSE logo or something similar.

#2: Peter Gumbrell (gumb) (2009-12-02 14:48:31)
How about a Pacman-like maze where Geeko goes around gobbling wafers.
Tux could supplant the bonus bouncing strawberries that enter the
frame, and the 'ghosts' could be represented by Windows logos (or to
avoid copyright infringement, some mugshots of Ballmer). Only problem
with that scenario is that, ultimately, MS always wins! (You could
reverse the concept and have the ghosts represented by distro logos,
with Ballmer's greedy face going around gobbling the wafers)...
Failing all that, I back the original suggestion. Something subtle, in
2D for those struggling with crappy graphics drivers, and featuring
Geeko in some way.
PS Anybody remember the '90s Windows screensaver Johnny Castaway, and
his uncanny resemblance to Richard Stallman? We could have RMS cast
away all alone on a desert island following some inevitable new
controversial remarks, watching him going about his daily life hacking,
fishing for non-proprietary software, slowly using the wood from the
sole tree to build a GPL raft that will float him away to freedom...
Just a thought.

#3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-01-09 02:01:17) (reply to #2)
No animations please, openSUSE should appear serious and professional.

#4: Vincent Untz (vuntz) (2010-03-26 20:02:29)
FWIW, I'm implementing https://features.opensuse.org/308474 which would
result in less screensavers installed by default, and I think the
selection I made is of relatively high quality. So it's already an
improvement.

+ #5: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-12-20 14:56:48)
+ Since openSUSE 11.3 has been already released and as Vincent mentioned,
+ this feature cannot be impremented in 11.3.
+ If you still want this feature to be implemented in upcoming
+ distributions, please request the feature once again for "openSUSE
+ Distribution".