[openFATE 307942] change YaST PKGMGR_ACTION_AT_EXIT behavior from EXIT to RESTART
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:45:01 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Satoru Matsumoto (HeliosReds)
Feature #307942, revision 13
Title: change YaST PKGMGR_ACTION_AT_EXIT behavior from EXIT to RESTART

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: New
Priority
- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: andrea florio (anubisg1)

YaST exit  after a packageinstallation appear as crash.
According to /etc/sysconfig/yast2
# The summary dialog is always displayed when an installation error has
occured.
So, set value to summary is not useful, since the only time I need to
read a summary is when something fail.
I think the best solution is to do as any other package manager on
debian/ubuntu, mandriva, fedora, does,
just go back to "package search/selection" screen.

That means set as a default PKGMGR_ACTION_AT_EXIT="restart"

#1: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2009-10-08 01:17:21)
Any feedback is better then simple exit without any notification what
happened.
Summary can be helpfull for some cases, but at the moment I test it so
I can't say exactly what is good about it, or even do I want it as
default, but I'm sure I want to see package manager after installation,
as that is both, feedback and what I expect to see.

I'm sure that I'm not alone annoyed, when right after system
installation, I look for additional packages, and every time I install
something the dummy exits. Like he knows better what I want.

#2: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) (2009-10-08 01:47:03)
Absolutely have this the default.  I requested this as soon as I saw
the aweful way YaST Package Manager behaved back in 11.1.  I also asked
that settings be persistant (such as show debug packages) once
set.  The way it is right now it really blows.

#3: Clayton smaug42 (smaug42) (2009-10-08 09:15:28)
Another vote yes.  The questions I get asked most by new users is...
"What just happened to the software installer? Did it work? Why doen't
this work like synaptic?"  Setting the default to a summary would be a
HUGE improvement.  As well... offering an option within the package
manger to toggle the summary off if advanced users don't want it would
be very useful.

#4: Clayton smaug42 (smaug42) (2009-10-08 09:17:25) (reply to #3)
Errr.. make that return to the package installer screen not summary :

#5: Bidossessi SODONON (bidossessi) (2009-11-04 11:17:21)