[openFATE 310804] Include Unity as alternative GNOME GUI
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:07:19 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310804, revision 9
Title: Include Unity as alternative GNOME GUI

- openSUSE-11.4: New
- Priority
- Requester: Desirable

Package Wishlist: New

Requested by: Markus K (kamikazow)
+ Developer: Nelson Marques (ketheriel)

Canonical introduced "Unity" with Ubuntu 10.10 as netbook GUI and plans
to extend it for desktop use.
As Unity is FOSS (GPLv3), Unity can be made available as alternative
GUI.

+ Relations:
+ - Blog by Nelson Marques (url:
+ http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/12/17/unity-on-opensuse-maybe/)
+ - ketheriel home project with some packages (obs/project: home:ketheriel:
+ ayatana)

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Users may want to try different user experiences.
Offering Unity as option would be beneficial. Its dependencies are
probably all already packaged anyway.

#1: Anomyous Anomyous (jcat123) (2010-11-22 03:11:08)
A classic advantage to Linux has always been the ability to run it on
old systems. By addng this, we would help restore that.

#2: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet) (2010-11-30 10:38:05)
I love this idea. Choice is good, ain't it? Besides, unity seems like
an interesting experiment, so I'd love to see it on openSUSE... No
reason not to offer our users all the available linux DE's ;-)

#3: Koushik Kumar Nundy (kknundy) (2010-11-30 22:02:58)
The idea is noteworthy. Unity is appreciably light. Also it is
sufficiently capable as GUIs go, if not as pretty. The only major
concern might be added overhead/dependencies in the DVD, if Unity is
added as default. Also, I am not aware if upstream contrib is
sufficient to keep development high.