[openFATE 310162] BeOS like menu for OpenSUSE
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:23:41 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310162, revision 5
Title: BeOS like menu for OpenSUSE

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Andres Silva (anditosan)

Well, I am not much of a historian when it comes to computers. I do
study history though, but of the Middle East in college. This is the
thing though. There used to be a very nice operating system back in the
2000s called BeOS. I got to download the iso image (about 50 MB) and
installed it on an old Compaq computer and booted it with a diskette.
This small operating system had many bugs but it was at the same time
very capable. I really enjoyed playing with it. The system was then not
too popular and PALM bought it. That was the end of it as a free
operating system and then other projects came out of it, like HAIKU and
Zeta. Just imitations of the original system but this time based on
Linux. One of the things that impressed me the most about this system
was its revolutionary System Menu. Unlike Windows, it was located at
the top right of the screen. It was not a panel styled menu, it was
rather like a box that expanded and contracted depending on the
applications that you were running. If you right-clicked it, then you
would be able to get the actual menu with all the applications
installed on your computer...
Check this idea
(http://anditosan.blogspot.com/2010/06/beos-rebellion.html)

#1: Brian Marr (cabernet) (2010-07-29 01:07:43)
Keep working on this. The system menu has improved over recent
releases. You may be onto something.

#2: Brian Marr (cabernet) (2010-07-29 01:10:57)
Let me try again. The system menu has not changed over many years. It
would be nice to see an alternative.