[openFATE 310106] Separate disk images for countries with no SW patents (with proprietary codecs)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:26:17 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310106, revision 6
- Title: Separate disk images for countries where no SW patents (with
+ Title: Separate disk images for countries with no SW patents (with
proprietary codecs)

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: Rejected by Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
+ reject reason: Won't be there for 11.4, and I doubt we can do this
+ anyway.

+ openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Alex Savin (alexqwesa)

Opensuse disk images distributed in countries where disallowed software
patents must include a complete set of codecs (including proprietary),
profit:
codecs is important part of system and most peoples use it anyway, bye
or install from packman repo, but why peoples in countries where
disallowed software patents should care about it?
1) newbies is very unhappy due this
2) it made liveCDs worse

How it can work:
1) If a request to http://software.opensuse.org comes from a country
where disallowed software patents, it should display the modified page
contains two links to the disk images - the main image with codecs, and
somewhere near the original image
2) I think there are no unsolvable problems for distribute, for
example: susestudio.com allows you to build and distribute images
containing patented codecs

#1: Kirill Kirillov (kkirill) (2010-07-18 20:07:17)
I'd like to see http://opensuse-community.org/SubpixelHinting also on
these images