[openFATE 308935] Video Driver Protection
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:39:10 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Sławomir Lach (Lachu)
Feature #308935, revision 15
Title: Video Driver Protection

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-08 16:50:32
reject reason: Not done for 11.3.

openSUSE-11.4: New

Requested by: Wilson Phillips (wilson_phillips)

Give a way for a failed proprietary video driver to fail back to the
open source driver, This would not leave a surprised newbie staring at
the command prompt and wondering what just happened to his system. We
old techs can easily work around this problem and we have done so for
years, but newbies can do a fresh install and as soon as they do their
updates, they get a new kernel and it breaks their video. How many new
users have we lost over the years becasue of this problem.
We need to change the way we think about these small issues and how
they affect the new users. This needs to be a priority.

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/432421-i-accidentally-updated-my-system-big-mistake.html#post2115813

http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/432378-updated-new-kernel-now-system-hangs-boot.html
http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/432017-serious-problem.html

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We need to change the way we think about these small
issues and how they affect the new users. This needs to be a priority.

#1: Jonathan Rocker (jonathan_r) (2010-02-03 04:14:23)
Having a fall back for when driver updates fail is critical for
newbies. I second this feature request.

#2: Ken Yap (ken_yap) (2010-02-04 14:57:03)
+1 We risk losing new users and creating ill-will against openSUSE when
their installation breaks through no fault of theirs.

#3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-02-06 14:39:14)
If one could specify Driver "nvidia,nv" in xorg.conf, that would be a
nice start.

#4: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-06-24 12:42:49) (reply to #3)
Considered to be done in 11.3. If /usr/lib/xorg/.../fglrx is not
available, it will pick the next one in line, i.e. radeon.

#5: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2010-08-27 12:51:17)
Someone from Redhat develops tool called wayland. This tool would
communicate with graphics driver. That means, if wayland/graphics
driver fails, X server can run new wayland session and connect to it.

+ #6: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2010-12-18 13:39:02)
+ Old kernels(witohut KMS) have to restart video card(and video driver),
+ when you switch from X console to normal console. I think, that we
+ could use this old mechanism with some watchdog on graphic driver to
+ achieve this. I don't know if it could broke user space
+ applications.... I think, that's not possible, because we was using
+ this mechanism for very long period of time.