[openFATE 309914] Add Disk Labels to partitions during install
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:46:51 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Stanley Miller (stan_qaz)
Feature #309914, revision 6
Title: Add Disk Labels to partitions during install

Requested by: David Kroher (dkroher)

Standard Opensuse install does not add disk labels to partitions during
install. It should label when the partition is created for what it is
root/home.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: This can be very useful when plugging a hdd opensuse was
installed on to another machine, eg, via USB. The notifier will display
the disk labels without having to guess what is on each partition.
Should be fairly simple to implement, and I only expect to be done when
separate home partition is selected during install. More partitions
than that, and I see it up to the user to define the labels.

#1: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2010-06-20 09:28:21)
it's so easy to do that manually during the install, or by autoyast xml
file. That there's no reason to make it automatically.
In server scenario, we have multiple partition, so how would you name
them, by their mount point ?
How would you spell them Root root ROOT why not SUSE or openSUSE-
[version]. I mean there's the same number of rules as the number of
user.
Another interessting case is the following : On dev machine you have 2
or 3 versions of opensuse, did you know hat if you have mutliple time
the same label on partition it would add a -1 behind it. How would you
find then which one is the right.
Sorry for me it's just a non feature.

#2: Ivo Anjo (knuckles) (2010-06-20 10:43:25)
I think all of your problems can be solved if a little random string is
prepended.
Then you might have [random]_opensuse[version]_[partition], giving for
example 0G5D_opensuse112_root, AF3D_opensuse113_home, ...

+ #3: Stanley Miller (stan_qaz) (2010-12-17 22:46:36)
+ I do think that the spot the partition label is added now is non-
+ intuitive and can be frustrating. It would be better to have the label
+ field on the main screen rather than buried in the FSTAB options and
+ unavailable unless you are mounting the partition.
+ Automating it isn't something I'd do as there are so many
+ possibilities, if it is automated then name it after its mount point:
+ root, var, mnt-music, swap1 and if the user wants something different
+ let them edit it.