[openFATE 308045] Switch to native printer config
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:01:08 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Will Stephenson (wstephenson)
Feature #308045, revision 10
Title: Switch to native printer config

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Will Stephenson (wstephenson)
+ reject reason: Not done in time for 11.3.

+ openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Markus K (kamikazow)

openSUSE 11.2 already ditched a few YaST modules that have native
(GNOME/KDE) counterparts. One of the next steps should be printer
configuration.
system-config-printer-kde is a port of GNOME's system-config-printer.
The latter one is already available for openSUSE.
To package scp-KDE, a similar approach to the (K)Ubuntu one makes
sense: Bundle the Python files used by both into a separate package
(system-config-printer-common) and then make system-config-printer-
gnome and system-config-printer-kde available.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-12-12 21:43:58)
yast2-printer was replaced by gnome-printer and kde-printer? So now we
have two sources of possible errors? Mh.

#2: andrea florio (anubisg1) (2009-12-13 16:42:54)
i wonder to know why are we moving everything to a Desktop enviroment
specific applications instead to stay on a central Desktop INDIPENDENT
control panel like yast? Everything into one single place is IMHO the
best way to go, in the same way.. what about if any of use use a
desktop enviroment that for any reason lack of the module you are
talking about?

i disagree.

#3: Todd R (theblackcat) (2010-01-05 18:31:10)
If someone implemented a good printer dialog in KDE I think this would
be a good idea.  At least for KDE most configuration tools are
integrated into system settings, so having a printer dialog there would
be good as well.  That being said, I don't think eliminating the
openSUSE printer configuration is a good idea.

#4: Markus K (kamikazow) (2010-04-17 16:54:10) (reply to #3)
Maybe not eliminating, but not installing it by default in desktop
configurations. Native printer config GUIs for GNOME and KDE Desktop
are sufficient. Servers may want to use YaST's tool, but for those it
can be installed afterwards.