[openFATE 308465] Filter for Fold View Widget & Dolphin
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:10:41 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Will Stephenson (wstephenson)
Feature #308465, revision 2
Title: Filter for Fold View Widget & Dolphin

- openSUSE-11.3: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Will Stephenson (wstephenson)
+ reject reason: Not done in time for 11.3

+ openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Neutral

Requested by: John Moore (johnfm3)

The ability for a user to filter for files that the user or a group has
permissions too.  Perferably the group that the user is a member of.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: In my example, I have 7 users that are joined to 4 groups
(stored in LDAP) kids, preteens, teens, parents. On a NFS share, I have
105 movies, but 15 movies the members of the kids group can watch.
Parents can watch all 105 movies. Its hard for members of the kids and
preteen groups to quickly pick out which movie they can watch when
there is 105 videos to browse thru. This gets worst when you add a
Large Music collection of over 20,000. Move this to a small business
enviorment, and you have a large public share that only has a small
percentage of files that pertain to you. In the ideal world, the
Administrator would have different shares for different groups, but in
the work place things grow and dont get properly managed and relocated.
When things do get move, users get pissed when things arent where they
were. So typicly public shares get left alone and keep growing.

+ #1: Will Stephenson (wstephenson) (2010-12-16 16:10:04)
+ I suggest you request this as a feature for Dolphin at bugs.kde.org -
+ there is much more chance of this being implemented.