[New: openFATE 310986] Software Search to arrive at most desirable options
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:51:56 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)

Feature #310986, revision 1
Title: Software Search to arrive at most desirable options

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)

Currently the Software Search and or Webpin results in a plethora of choices,
most of which are less than desirable. Ideally, search results should First
offer the most stable and or suitable packages. For example. If a user comes
along and searches for 'VLC' They are offered a host of unstable options.
Everyone knows that 'VLC' should come from Packman. If we can't refer directly
to Packman, it should be possible to link to a multi-media giuide.

I'm going to guess this could be difficult. But it must be possible to flag
searches by keywords to redirect to the most likely solution, but with an
option to continue to search anyway.

Test Case:
Open here: http://software.opensuse.org/search and search: vlc

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Avoid new user use of unstable or unsuitable repos.

We should be directing to the most suitable or most likely suitable solution.
At the moment it's very random.

List Navigation