[openFATE 310802] Hardware TestSuite + S.M.O.L.T Windows client
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 05:03:51 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m)
Feature #310802, revision 3
Title: Hardware TestSuite + S.M.O.L.T Windows client

Requested by: SÅ‚awomir Lach (lachu)

Windows users always complain, there's no hardware compatybility on
Linux. They even won't test LiveCD. LiveCD don't always can show full
hardware support, like restricted drivers in action.
Imagine, that OpenSUSE users will run hardware test suite
afterinstallation and installation of restricted drivers. Result will
be connected with hardware profile in S.M.O.L.T . With S.M.O.LT Windows
client Windows user can match result from test suite database with
thier hardware.

Use Case:
User have download S.M.O.L.T Windows Client and see results. If results
are somethink: you may to install restricted drivers after OpenSUSE
installation to your graphics adapter or everything will be working,
then user will install OpenSUSE, eventually install restricted drivers
and run Test Suite.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Actually many Windows user are scary about hardware
support on Linux. They even won't install or test OpenSUSE. We need
greater market to make OpenSUSE better.

#1: Satoru Matsumoto (heliosreds) (2010-11-12 05:13:53)
Is there S.M.O.L.T Windows Client or development project already?

+ #2: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m) (2010-12-10 04:59:38)
+ Fact that some users don't want to run Live CD is something that any
+ kind of hardware compatibility list will not change, but elaboration on
+ that is another story. Live CD can be used as indication about hardware
+ compatibility, not as comprehensive test. Smolt windows client is not
+ really possible. Smolt consists from data collection and reporting
+ parts. Reporting part is written in Python, and it can probably run
+ under the windows if there is python runtime (some kind of shell) for
+ windows. Data collection part is almost impossible to create. Hardware
+ test suite that will collect data in windows would have to provide same
+ functionality as Linux kernel, plus ability to switch between windows
+ and Linux on the run. If that would be easy, then we would not have
+ dual boot, or virtual machines, but simple installation in parallel
+ where both systems will run as we need them. The closest match to this
+ is Xen with its hypervisor, but it offers its own hardware drivers to
+ operating systems running on top of it, so there will be tested
+ compatibility with hypervisor not with real hardware.
+ I guess that this feature is software equivalent of MI (mission
+ impossible) - not entirely impossible, but very unlikely to happen in a
+ real world.