[openFATE 310920] The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders for opensuse 11.4
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:50:01 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #310920, revision 4
Title: The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders for opensuse
11.4

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: Done

Requested by: Jedi Beeftrix (jedibeeftrix)

To quote the torvalds: "Yeah. And I have to say that I'm (very happily)
surprised by just how small that patch really ends up being, and how
it's not intrusive or ugly either. I'm also very happy with just what
it does to interactive performance. Admittedly, my "testcase" is really
trivial (reading email in a web-browser, scrolling around a bit, while
doing a "make -j64" on the kernel at the same time), but it's a test-
case that is very relevant for me. And it is a _huge_ improvement. It's
an improvement for things like smooth scrolling around, but what I
found more interesting was how it seems to really make web pages load a
lot faster. Maybe it shouldn't have been surprising, but I always
associated that with network performance. But there's clearly enough of
a CPU load when loading a new web page that if you have a load average
of 50+ at the same time, you _will_ be starved for CPU in the loading
process, and probably won't get all the http requests out quickly
enough. So I think this is firmly one of those "real improvement"
patches. Good job. Group scheduling goes from "useful for some specific
server loads" to "that's a killer feature". Linus" OldCpu on the
opensuse forums seemed to indicate that this might be a possibility for
opensuse 11.4.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=2
I sincerely hope so!
How about it?

+ #1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-06 14:49:52)
+ This patch is already in 11.4 Milestone4.

List Navigation