[New: openFATE 310938] Support Harddrives with > 3TB capacity
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 21:31:18 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Denny Beyer (lumnis)

Feature #310938, revision 1
Title: Support Harddrives with > 3TB capacity

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Denny Beyer (lumnis)

As harddrives with capacities more than 3TB's are available, we need to ensure
that those drives are fully supported. That includes: - mainboard chipset
drives supporting those drives - booting from those drives : That requires
EFI/UEFI support, as MBR only supports 2TB harddrives as maximum because it's
based on 32bit fields - drive needs to be set up as GPT drive because GUID
partitiontable uses 64bit sector numbers - full capacity is recognized by the
system and usable Recent tests were showing issues with current linux systems.

Could somebody with more inside knowledge could comment on that and if this
could cause problems with upcoming openSUSE releases?

Test Case:
I haven't got the needed hardware, but if somebody does, could he/she try to
install openSUSE 11.3/4 and report issues to get some idea where we are with
regards to this issue.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: As available harddrive capacities are constantly growing, we need
to make sure that opensuse can be installed on those systems without a problem.

List Navigation