[openFATE 307418] Parental control module
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:36:37 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #307418, revision 30
Title: Parental control module

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-15 09:57:19
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.2.

openSUSE-11.3: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-15 09:57:26
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.3.

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: New

Requested by: Jean Cayron (jeancayron)

It would be fine to have a GUI in YaST similar with Mandriva's Parental
Control "Drakguard".
Parental control is something more en more important for safety with
computing in family and Linux can't avoid to be distributed into the
families.

Use Case:
System owner can select profiles that define what local system elements
a user can access.  Specifically, desktop configuration and "main menu"
items.  Could be based on data in user profile (e.g., age or a
rating).  Ability to set a network proxy based on the user profile.
Ability within Yast to select and customize desktop profiles for
users.  Would like ability to apply profiles to multiple users and
updates to profile structure would update users assigned this
profile.  Most current concepts of a profile work at user creation time
and updates only impact users created after the update.
Would like mechanism that works with Gnome and KDE

#1: John Shand (jshand2008) (2009-08-16 11:09:09)
This is a sound idea.  i back you all the way.

#2: J Thimm (thimm) (2009-09-08 09:35:38)
very useful
should be in every distro --

#3: Mircea Kitsune (mirceakitsune) (2009-09-16 18:30:41)
I am against this idea. I don't believe Linux should include and
promote censorship systems based on personal beliefs of what's right or
wrong to see. If someone is of the belief that seeing certain content
can harm children, there are external tools that can be found and
installed for that purpose.

#13: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2010-08-27 12:43:59) (reply to #3)
Freesoftware(in my opinion) is only software, which makes your's
computer your's, not owned by software developers.

#4: Oliver Schmidt (spiollinux) (2009-10-03 14:14:44)
It sholud be optional

#5: Malvern Star (solaris444) (2009-10-06 18:22:35)
Supervising the child instead of attempting to implement an impossible
piece of software would be a better solution.  The Australian
Government poured over 100 million US dollars into developing a child-
safe filter that was bypassed in 30 minutes by a kid of 14.  And by
bypassed I mean disabled and the main password for the parental control
system retreived.  Pointless feature.

#6: Peter Tselios (tpe) (2009-12-08 11:18:56)
It is a disarabe system. When you are a parent, you can understand why
you do need it. Not all childs are hackers and it is impossible to
supervise childs 24/7. So, even as a 1st line of defence, such control
should exists in openSUSE. If Mandriva did it, openSUSE can do it too.

#7: Todd R (theblackcat) (2009-12-09 00:55:46)
At least in KDE can the Kiosk tool be used to handle this, or improved
easily so it can?

#8: Jan-Olof Eriksson (owdy) (2010-01-16 00:09:01)
I support this request. It would be handy to parents! Optional package
of cource,

#9: Axel Braun (docb) (2010-02-08 17:09:12)
I support this idea as well. It goes even deeper: How do you control a
remote PC (running maybe a different operating system than openSUSE)?
At least for me it would be sufficient to have an easy control over the
network data that runs over my (openSUSE) server...

#10: Glenn Doig (doiggl) (2010-03-19 08:16:18)
I actually use opendns to do what is being described above, see  -
http://www.opendns.com/about/overview/
[from url]
OpenDNS is the leading provider of free security and infrastructure
services that make the Internet safer through integrated Web content
filtering, anti-phishing and DNS. OpenDNS services enable consumers and
network administrators to secure their networks from online threats,
reduce costs and enforce Internet-use policies. OpenDNS is used today
by millions of users and organizations around the world.
What it provides see ->http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
I guess provide an option to use it could be  made  available.

#11: Luis Medinas (lmedinas) (2010-03-22 18:24:15)
I personally love the idea... with so many linux systems on schools
computers this is really a desired feature. Maybe integrating on Yast
isn't the best but installing applications like timekeeper and nanny
would be nice. Also using  filesystem ACL would control users a bit.

#12: Martin Seidler (pistazienfresser) (2010-06-22 22:45:40)
May be a wiki about the already existing possiblilities (like WOT - Web
Of Trust, ...) could be at least a beginning.

#14: Sławomir Lach (lachu) (2010-08-27 12:46:24)
Not better extendent Yast by new tools, like site blocking tool, extend
user configuration module, etc.?
We can also add tutorial to providing explemation how to configure
system.