[openFATE 310339] Improved KDE integration for GIMP and Inkscape
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:29:25 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #310339, revision 9
- Title: Improved KDE integration for GIMP & Inkscape
+ Title: Improved KDE integration for GIMP and Inkscape

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: New

Requested by: Johan Raul (daedaluz)

GIMP and Inkscape need better integration into KDE, namely its "Open
file" dialogue is stuck in GNOME look. Firefox and OpenOffice have
their own wrappers, which integrate their corresponding action into
KDE. GIMP and Inkscape are programs which would benefit greatly from
native KDE image thumbnails.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We want this because it helps to create more coherent and
unified feel for whole desktop. People doing advanced graphic work with
GIMP and/or Inkscape would most definitely appreciate the superior
native KDE image thumbnail preview provided in its native "Open file"
dialogue. openSUSE would benefit by having more professional feel to
it.

#1: Peter Gumbrell (gumb) (2010-08-16 13:27:46)
+1

I mentioned GIMP in my own request for better KDE integration of
Thunderbird:
https://features.opensuse.org/308955 (308955)

With openSUSE now being considered one of the best distros for KDE
users, integration of a few more major apps like these could reinforce
that notion and make the distro stand out above the others in this
regard.

#2: Ivo Anjo (knuckles) (2010-08-22 12:08:50)
Maybe the solution would be something like
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=36077 ?
Doing wrappers individually for each application doesn't seem like a
great idea -- in Firefox's and Openoffice's case, the wrappers do more
than change the file open dialogues, so they might be justified.

#3: Otso Rajala (daedaluz) (2010-08-25 23:42:18) (reply to #2)
That would be great to integrate into default KDE desktop in 11.4 for
streamlining. It should be tested for conflicts with existing QtGTK-
application wrappers (namely OOo and Firefox), however.