[openFATE 310623] Please bring SCPM back to Suse
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:26:33 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #310623, revision 9
Title: Please bring SCPM back to Suse

- openSUSE-11.4: Unconfirmed
+ openSUSE-11.4: Done

- Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed
+ Package Wishlist: Done

Requested by: Hawke Robinson (kmleon)

SCPM is one of the major components (among others) for why I prefer to
use Suse over other distros. I use SCPM for changing many configuration
values for hardware and software cleanly, through one tool, instead of
dozens, between when plugged into very different docking stations
between work and home, when at home undocked, when roaming at coffee
shops, when locked down for work or client sites, when broadcasting
live shows at various locations, or when setting up different hardware
profiles with different components connected and keeping the
configuration consistent for that profile, printers, firewall rules,
etc.
Networkmanager only handles the networking aspect (and poorly at that,
especially for devices that require using if-up mode, and not network
manager (driver bugs)). Other tools only handle the configuration
values for their own domains of responsibilty, and do not keep a single
profile with all the many variables, easily in one place, and easily
switched either on the fly or at boot time. This tool has been a huge
boon to being far more productive over other distros.
Please consider adding this back to 11.3, and keeping it for future
releases.
I am even willing to become a maintainer for this package if no one
more qualified steps up to do so. I will try the information for the
11.2 repo kludge, but please advise on how the suse decision makers can
be encouraged to bring scpm back.
Thanks!

Use Case:
Mobile user (laptop, portable device, or full PC that is moved to
different locations) with one kind of docking station or port
replicator at home, and a completely different docking-station or port
replicator at work, beign able to easily switch all the hardware,
network, firewall, monitor(s), printers, and other software and
hardware values at boot time between home and work.
Mobile user that has very different security settings and hardware
settings between home setup, work setup, and different clients when on-
site. variables include network, firewall, antivirus, fileshares, sound
cards, external video cards, monitor(s), printers, virtual machine
configurations, DNS, hosts files, email server settings, sshd settings,
ftpd settings, the list of variables served through one profile tool is
extremely extensive.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: The wonderful flexibility of so many variables being able
to be easily tracked on the fly from one utility is extremely valuable
for mobile use. Networkmanager only handles the networking aspect (and
poorly at that, especially for devices that require using if-up mode,
and not network manager (driver bugs)). Other tools only handle the
configuration values for their own domains of responsibilty, and do not
keep a single profile with all the many variables, easily in one place,
and easily switched either on the fly or at boot time. This tool has
been a huge boon to being far more productive over other distros.
Without SCPM support, Suse becomes that much more "just another
same/similiar Linux distro", and looses another distinctive benefit
over other distros for me, and for all my clients.

#1: Alexander R (rom-ale) (2010-11-02 15:45:21)
From my side, OpenSUSE should have SCPM!
For example, I use it on my laptop to change Home, Work, Customer,
Public environments (network config, network services, system settings)
Crasy peoples who have removed SCPM from OpenSUSE. You will see later,
that MS will include  feature like this.
Unfortunatelly, most open-source desktop project has no p, li { white-
space: pre-wraintelligent architects and developing trends

#2: Denis Prost (denis_p) (2010-11-29 12:07:26)
Same need : at home, my computer acts as a server, and at work as a
client, SCPM was very handy to handle that.